Turn on thread page Beta

Is Jeremy Corbyn really that extreme? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think he can win the next general election?

If not why did Labour choose him (srs)

ReputationRep:
    He really isn't. His anti-austerity economic plan received the nod from many notable economists the world over, whilst his plans for social housing are equally robust. He isn't a communist dictator in disguise nor is he an anti-semite like some silly people have suggested.

He is only extreme if you listen to the Tories who have made the center-right the new median position and who now expect all to conform to the bland design-by-committee vanilla politics that New Labour did so effing well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Owl of Minerva)
    He really isn't. His anti-austerity economic plan received the nod from many notable economists the world over, whilst his plans for social housing are equally robust. He isn't a communist dictator in disguise nor is he an anti-semite like some silly people have suggested.

He is only extreme if you listen to the Tories who have made the center-right the new median position and who now expect all to conform to the bland design-by-committee vanilla politics that New Labour did so effing well.
    I'm left wing but his national security policies are scary

ReputationRep:
    This. There are substantive critiques that can be made of Corbyn. That I totally and straightforwardly accept - but nobody who calls him extreme has the remotest knowledge or understanding of what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Owl of Minerva)

And his notion that dialogue between parties is only extreme in the context of the histrionic Western attitude to the east that sees bombing campaigns as the only solution.

ReputationRep:
    He'll never win...his policies are far to left wing for England and dangerous!

Appointing people who sympathised with the IRA and so on...No way the Armed Forces would rebel against him before he got his way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Allegro)
    This. There are substantive critiques that can be made of Corbyn. That I totally and straightforwardly accept - but nobody who calls him extreme has the remotest knowledge or understanding of what they're talking about.
    The Tories are all calling him extreme

ReputationRep:
    he isnt extreme, however the right wing media are using a tactic they know works to scare people off him (tried n tested with miliband)
    if anything the currents government is more of a threat to our general security than corbyn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meninism)
    The Tories are all calling him extreme
    Only relative to their worldview. Which doesn't actually mean all that much.

EDIT: Of course nationalizing railways seems extreme if one's worldview centres on unswerving belief in big business. That doesn't mean it actually is.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Corbyn is extreme ... ly good at what he does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    he isnt extreme, however the right wing media are using a tactic they know works to scare people off him (tried n tested with miliband)
    if anything the currents government is more of a threat to our general security than corbyn
    why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meninism)
    I'm left wing but his national security policies are scary
    Same. I agree with a fair few of his policies, though I think a lot of them are unattainable.

But he wants to leave NATO... argh. I'd struggle to vote for him out of fear we'd end up with no armed forces at all, no nuclear weapons (disarmament, again, while it's a nice dream... I just don't think it's something you want to risk)

ReputationRep:
    The problem is everyone is going radical, as we are all fed up of the same "centre" politics of the Gordon Browns & David Camerons. Everyone wants extreme, like Nigel Farage or Jeremy Corbyn.

My personal opinion is on JC (I know it wont be very popular what I'm saying). He's not fit to run a country, I mean who really thinks that more immigration and being part of one world is going to work. Its very popular stuff what he says, as its what people want to hear. However I do respect him, as he really is passionate in what he believes in but I dont believe its right!

ReputationRep:
    He's a Republican.
    He wants to leave NATO.
    He wants the union and our overseas territories gone.

Yes OP, he's a dangerous radical.

ReputationRep:
    To further justify my position on Corbyn's foreign policy: we no longer live in a world where armies can go in, raze a population to the ground, and cause submission. We destroyed the legitimate Iraqi (and Afghanistani) armies with utter ease, and look at how that campaign turned out. Furthermore, ISIS don't come from a vacuum. They may cite Islamism as their raison d'etre, and that may well be true among their leadership, but an equally powerful driver of their rise is a widespread belief in the oppressive West. Given that disillusionment/hatred of Western imperialism is a clear cause for ISIS managing to recruit so many Westerners, and given ISIS aren't a static, homogeneous entity that can just 'be bombed', I don't see that as the entire solution.

For the record, Corbyn, like me, sees ISIS as repugnant. He has been quoted as saying so. But having the nuance to recognize that indiscriminate violence is not the only legitimate response to revulsion is not extreme. It is not a binary choice between nuking the Middle East and letting ISIS reign unchecked.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn is DANGEROUS!
    He will oppose the brutal cuts this country badly needs to create more inequality.
    He will take money earmarked for Trident and blow it on useless causes like hospitals and schools.
    He will give honest answers without insulting his opponents and won't milk his expenses, things that frankly have no place in contemporary politics!
    He will oppose austerity. This could mean disaster; how will we siphon money away from the poor to the rich?
    He will stand up for the poor, the vulnerable, the disabled, the young, trade unionists and public sector workers. He might even get them to vote, which would mean disaster!
    HE MUST BE STOPPED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe-fuller)
    Corbyn is DANGEROUS!
    He will oppose the brutal cuts this country badly needs to create more inequality.
    He will take money earmarked for Trident and blow it on useless causes like hospitals and schools.
    He will give honest answers without insulting his opponents and won't milk his expenses, things that frankly have no place in contemporary politics!
    He will oppose austerity. This could mean disaster; how will we siphon money away from the poor to the rich?
    He will stand up for the poor, the vulnerable, the disabled, the young, trade unionists and public sector workers. He might even get them to vote, which would mean disaster!
    HE MUST BE STOPPED
    This hyperbole is why I wish TSR had negs

ReputationRep:
    “I would want to isolate ISIL. I don’t think going on a bombing campaign in Syria is going to bring about their defeat, I think it will make them stronger, so I’m not in favour of that." http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015...n_7936294.html

People on here are intelligent. They can easily understand from this quotation that Corbyn isn't anti-bombing because he doesn't want to defeat ISIS. It's a nuanced opinion based on what he thinks will work, and can be demonstrated to work, in bringing about their defeat. His views on ISIS's legitimacy and behaviour are no more extreme than Cameron's, Osborne's, or most other people's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Allegro)
    To further justify my position on Corbyn's foreign policy: we no longer live in a world where armies can go in, raze a population to the ground, and cause submission. We destroyed the legitimate Iraqi (and Afghanistani) armies with utter ease, and look at how that campaign turned out. Furthermore, ISIS don't come from a vacuum. They may cite Islamism as their raison d'etre, and that may well be true among their leadership, but an equally powerful driver of their rise is a widespread belief in the oppressive West. Given that disillusionment/hatred of Western imperialism is a clear cause for ISIS managing to recruit so many Westerners, and given ISIS aren't a static, homogeneous entity that can just 'be bombed', I don't see that as the entire solution.

For the record, Corbyn, like me, sees ISIS as repugnant. He has been quoted as saying so. But having the nuance to recognize that indiscriminate violence is not the only legitimate response to revulsion is not extreme. It is not a binary choice between nuking the Middle East and letting ISIS reign unchecked.
    I don't support bombing the ME either but stuff like disarming Trident is a bad idea esp. with threats like Russia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    Please tell me you aren't serious.

Corbyn's views on international relations are just warped.

Who in their right mind would abandon all of our western allies?

People criticise UKIP for wanting to leave Europe, but love Corbyn for wanting to abandon ALL of our western allies.

How in any world does that work?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.