Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend never says I look nice watch

Anonomous as slightly embarrased.
    My boyfriend never compliments me, weve been together a few months. He literally nver comments on how I look. I dont expect or want daily compliments, but when I make a lot of effort ie when were going out for the eve Id appriciate a 'you look nice' or 'nice dress' so I feel my effort is acknowledged. Before anyone says, its because Im ugly. Im aware Im no stunner, if I had to rate myself Id say 5 on an average day and 6 or at a push 7 when Im all dressed up. But I do dress well, also friends and even people I dont know hugely well comment onme looking nice\being well dressed. I know this sounds silly but its getting me down a bit. How do I mention this to him without sounding like a total brat?

ReputationRep:
    If he love you then such small things should not be serious matter. some people love simplicity he may be one of them.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should hope this guy wants to marry you one day.

If he doesn't notice, he probably doesn't care. Thus he's not going to be that guy who leaves you for somebody nicer (typically younger) when you get older and begin to lose the looks you have now.

ReputationRep:
    He'll quickly acknowledge your efforts when you dump him.

You'll also jump from a 5-7 to an 11/10 in his eyes.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anonomous as slightly embarrased.
    My boyfriend never compliments me, weve been together a few months. He literally nver comments on how I look. I dont expect or want daily compliments, but when I make a lot of effort ie when were going out for the eve Id appriciate a 'you look nice' or 'nice dress' so I feel my effort is acknowledged. Before anyone says, its because Im ugly. Im aware Im no stunner, if I had to rate myself Id say 5 on an average day and 6 or at a push 7 when Im all dressed up. But I do dress well, also friends and even people I dont know hugely well comment onme looking nice\being well dressed. I know this sounds silly but its getting me down a bit. How do I mention this to him without sounding like a total brat?
    Yeah people who like you normally don't say anything unless they have something nice to say about you.

I guess you could work it into the conversation by saying what do you think of me in this dress or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    My ex never complimented me either. Is he socially aware?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronImpresswell)
    He'll quickly acknowledge your efforts when you dump him.

You'll also jump from a 5-7 to an 11/10 in his eyes.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he's not that into you

ReputationRep:
    You could ask him how you look in something, or what he thinks of what you're wearing. I've never liked asking for compliments though. I can understand why you feel this way.

You could talk to him about how you're feeling, but tbh, it's probably not something he realises he isn't doing.

(Original post by melondew26)
    My ex never complimented me either. Is he socially aware?
    He doesnt have social interaction problems. Hes not really into his own appearance beyond basic hygine and tidyness. So its probably linked to that?

(Original post by bumblebee342)
    You could ask him how you look in something, or what he thinks of what you're wearing. I've never liked asking for compliments though. I can understand why you feel this way.

You could talk to him about how you're feeling, but tbh, it's probably not something he realises he isn't doing.
    I dont wanna fish for compliments. Thats the issue, Id like to raise it as its getting me down, but I dont want to make him feel bad as I doubt its deliberate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I dont wanna fish for compliments. Thats the issue, Id like to raise it as its getting me down, but I dont want to make him feel bad as I doubt its deliberate
    I guess the only thing you can do is explain, and tell him this (that you know he's not deliberately not saying anything)

ReputationRep:
    Talk to him about it. He is your bf, so any problems you have with him, you should tell him =_=
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If my boyfriend was like this I'd definitely mention it. He's your boyfriend, it's not unreasonable for you to be hurt by the fact he doesn't compliment you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you compliment him on how he looks, or what he's wearing?

ReputationRep:
    My ex used to complain about this constantly (before you asked I ended it, not her). My response was, there are hundreds of guys giving you compliments non-stop and I'm the one you're sleeping with every night. I don't need to be the one copying their behaviour.

(Original post by TwinnyP)
    Do you compliment him on how he looks, or what he's wearing?
    Depends. If hes done his hair nicely I say it looks nice, if hes put a nice shirt on I tell him he looks good. If hes just thrown on an old tshirt and not brushed his hair I dont say anything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.