Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just graduated from KCL with a first class honours in mathematics (I averaged a 75% overall, so quite a low first). However, I don't think I am that great at the subject compared to my peers. I do enjoy it though. The thing with me is that it takes me a while to understand a concept but if I work hard at it then I'll understand it no problems. I guess it's just a confidence issue really. Would it be a waste of time to apply, considering the competition that there is? I'm not sure that I stand a chance.

Thanks for reading :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser12345)
    I just graduated from KCL with a first class honours in mathematics (I averaged a 75% overall, so quite a low first). However, I don't think I am that great at the subject compared to my peers. I do enjoy it though. The thing with me is that it takes me a while to understand a concept but if I work hard at it then I'll understand it no problems. I guess it's just a confidence issue really. Would it be a waste of time to apply, considering the competition that there is? I'm not sure that I stand a chance.

This forum is mainly for undergraduate courses, so you'll probably get better replies in Postgraduate forum, but I know a few maths postgrads at cambridge who applied from other universities.
    In general, if you have a first class from a good RG uni, I think it's worth applying. But you also need good references (usually two of them) to accompany your application, too.
    I'd say you should definitely go for it. Nothing wrong with spending a bit of time applying for it. Just a few email exchanges with the postgraduate admission office of the department, possibly if you want to enquire anything specific, and submitting the application form. That's it. Not much of 'waste', I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteser12345)

What sorts of courses would you want to take in the Part III? It's worth reading some sample course outlines and prerequisites in the areas you're interested in before applying.

The pacing of the course is pretty brutal, and there's not much central support (examples classes vary between being sort of useful and being naff all use). You have to be either very self-motivated and/or good at coercing other people to help you understand material. I thought I'd be pretty interested in algebraic topology having taken the Cambridge Part II course and done rather well, but it was just utterly incomprehensible. Of course, this wasn't helped by me not doing any of the examples sheets on time, or going over the material outside lectures.

On the other hand, I discovered an abiding love of set theory.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.