Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently in year 13, looking to apply to universities in the next couple of weeks. I'm unsure whether I can still apply for medicine this year, based on my AS results: Biology - A, Maths - A, Chemistry - C, German - C.

In my GCSEs I got 6A*s, 7As and 1B (in textiles!!)

I'm unsure whether to apply this year for 2016 entry or to apply next september for 2017 entry, meaning I would take a gap year to get a lot more work experience under my belt.. However, I'm not keen on taking a gap year.

Is it still worth applying??

Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by liz_cooper_)
    Hi,

I'm currently in year 13, looking to apply to universities in the next couple of weeks. I'm unsure whether I can still apply for medicine this year, based on my AS results: Biology - A, Maths - A, Chemistry - C, German - C.

I'm unsure whether to apply this year for 2016 entry or to apply next september for 2017 entry, meaning I would take a gap year to get a lot more work experience under my belt.. However, I'm not keen on taking a gap year.

Thanks
    you can still apply but its very hard to get realistic AAA predictuins when your chemistry grade is a C!

I would personally go for it as even if you get four rejections, your much more experienced after it and it will make reapplying after a gap year much easier!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've moved your thread to the medicine sub-forum, as you're more likely to get more accurate advice here.

Medicine is such a competitive course that the C in Chemistry AS-Level could really hold you back. Med schools in general are pretty strict about retakes, and many equally wouldn't see an A grade prediction in chemistry this year as realistic.

Unfortunately an application this year is unlikely to be successful, and even on a gap year you may struggle to find a place- do you have a plan B if medicine doesn't work out? If not, you may want to start thinking about one!

ReputationRep:
    I think you should retake your C in Chemistry and maybe even German, most medical schools say you need at least a b in the fourth AS

But don't give up if medicine is really something you want! You can always smash A2 and reapply

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Thanks
    While there's no harm in applying if you can get predicted AAA or A*AA (depending on which schools you're applying to), the admissions tutors at various medical schools may have some difficulty accepting your C in chemistry, which is a required subject at almost every medical school.

Like somebody else, you may also need to resit the C in German as a lot of medical schools (not all) want a fourth AS with a grade B minimum. There are exceptions e.g. UCL often makes offers of A*AAe. But then you also have QUB, who make offers of AAAa...

You would be in a much stronger position applying in a gap year so keep that possibility open as well.

ReputationRep:
    As a prospective mature student, I can't hail the thought of a GAP year more. I work in the medical field and see too many students seeing patient for the first time after 3 years of uni with so little patient experience. One year is nothing to my *ahem, many years post grad. But the benefits are huge. You have the chance to build on your patient experience, you have the chance to work your butt off in patient facing jobs and all that will prepare you for application. You will feel more relaxed, you will be confident talking with complete strangers about things they might not talk to their nearest and dearest about and you will have chance to set yourself up better financially.
    Personally, i'd recommend it to everyone finishing college to put in a year before university, just to live and learn life skills before venturing head first, often blindly, into the big wide world! :-D
    As a prospective uni student at 17 years old, i'd have never chosen a year out, but hindsight really is a wonderful thing!
    Whatever you decide, all the best! Do let us know how you get on :-D

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for this, I have thought about taking a gap year as I said, but I'd also want to get started right away - will it affect my application next year if I apply this year but get rejected? It is a possibility so I need to consider this option!

Thanks so much for this, I have thought about taking a gap year as I said, but I'd also want to get started right away - will it affect my application next year if I apply this year but get rejected? It is a possibility so I need to consider this option!
    At most places, no. There is one exception where you're not allowed to apply again if you've been rejected the previous year but I can't remember which. At most places, it's an advantage because if you fall short of the grades you need, their condition for accepting any resits often includes having applied there the previous year and/or held an offer and put them as your firm.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.