Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I moved out 3 days ago to a university about an hour and a half from home. I already hate it here, I hate the people, the whole idea of uni life and I'm just not comfortable here at all. For the past two nights I've stayed in and watched TV while the other girls in my flat go out clubbing and being pally with each other and then wake me up at 5 in the morning when they roll in drunk shouting and laughing and bringing random guys home. I've hardly spoken to anyone and at first I thought it was just homesickness but I think I've just realised I don't like the 'student life' and I want to go home.
    There are places available in clearing at the uni at my home town to do the same course, but I had an interview there (and got accepted but I declined the offer to come here instead) and didn't like the look of the course.
    The course here looked so much nicer but I don't think I can cope in halls even for a month never mind a year.
    I don't know what to do!! Help please, ad ASAP because I'm under some time pressure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzbeebee)
    So, I moved out 3 days ago to a university about an hour and a half from home. I already hate it here, I hate the people, the whole idea of uni life and I'm just not comfortable here at all. For the past two nights I've stayed in and watched TV while the other girls in my flat go out clubbing and being pally with each other and then wake me up at 5 in the morning when they roll in drunk shouting and laughing and bringing random guys home. I've hardly spoken to anyone and at first I thought it was just homesickness but I think I've just realised I don't like the 'student life' and I want to go home.
    There are places available in clearing at the uni at my home town to do the same course, but I had an interview there (and got accepted but I declined the offer to come here instead) and didn't like the look of the course.
    The course here looked so much nicer but I don't think I can cope in halls even for a month never mind a year.
    I don't know what to do!! Help please, ad ASAP because I'm under some time pressure.
    Do you think it might be bacause you dont like the atmosphere of your halls? It's understandableif you live with people you don't see yourself being friends with!

I would say definitely wait, at last until your course starts- you're bound to meet others that share your interests. Besides, don't you at least want to see what your course is like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vg21)
    Do you think it might be bacause you dont like the atmosphere of your halls? It's understandableif you live with people you don't see yourself being friends with!

I would say definitely wait, at last until your course starts- you're bound to meet others that share your interests. Besides, don't you at least want to see what your course is like?
    No I definitely don't like the atmosphere of halls haha. I'm jumpy whenever I hear people walking round and get so anxious at night and have to keep triple checking that my doors locked! I daren't even leave my room (which sounds so silly I know!!). My flatmates have already decided I'm '*****y' and clearly something to laugh at because I don't like going out till 5 getting hammered.

This is what I thought about doing, but if I still don't like it then I'll have to drop out and reapply next year as the spaces for the other uni will have probably gone (there's only 2 spaces left!).

So I either stick it out and hope I like it, and if I don't I'll have to wait a whole year till I do it again,
    OR leave now and get my degree while living at home. I think the only thing stopping me is I'll feel like such a failure if I quit now.

ReputationRep:
    Hey - sorry to hear your situation - seems as if for whatever reason you haven't quite gelled with your flatmates yet! If I were you I wouldn't consider leaving the university - that would be a huge shame - especially if you think you'll love the course! What you need to do is get in contact with your advisor or someone with pastoral/housing responsibilities, explain your situation and see if there is a solution where you can move flats or into a house outside of halls. Trust me, at my university in first year quite a few people I knew changed accommodation and it was pretty normal! If not, give your university and flatmates a chance, throw yourself into your course, join some societies - and trust me it will be no time before you find a crowd you fit in with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EconomistJack)
    Hey - sorry to hear your situation - seems as if for whatever reason you haven't quite gelled with your flatmates yet! If I were you I wouldn't consider leaving the university - that would be a huge shame - especially if you think you'll love the course! What you need to do is get in contact with your advisor or someone with pastoral/housing responsibilities, explain your situation and see if there is a solution where you can move flats or into a house outside of halls. Trust me, at my university in first year quite a few people I knew changed accommodation and it was pretty normal! If not, give your university and flatmates a chance, throw yourself into your course, join some societies - and trust me it will be no time before you find a crowd you fit in with!
    I think it's just the whole idea of student accommodation that I don't like. I'm not very strong and am very antisocial. I came to uni to get a degree, not to live the 'uni life', which is why I'm seriously considering going home, because whether I live here or at home, I'm not gonna be going out or being 'sociable', so I doubt I'll miss much if I switch.

ReputationRep:
    I came to uni to get a degree, not to live the 'uni life' ... I'm not gonna be going out or being 'sociable'
    I remember saying those exact words in my first term of university - i had a girlfriend back home and wasn't that interested in pushing myself to make new friends when I already had my mind set on something...

But three years are a large chunk of your youth and soon after I broke up, fully tried to get involved and have left university with countless friends, course-mates, experiences and probably the best years of my life behind me! You've only spent three days there and university is what you make of it!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the op's post- when did you start uni?

I would recommend sticking to it, for at least some time- especially if you say you're here to study- you should see what the course is like! There'll be plenty of people like you, who are very dedicated to their studies etc.

In terms of accommodation, even if you do move home you will have to at some point live with other people, if not at halls, then in a house- is that the main worry for you? Not the social side of it but living with other people?

In any case, don't feel like a failure if you do quit at some point- it's your life you have to do what's best for you!

ReputationRep:
    youve only been there three days, and want to drop out because you dont like your flatmates/ their activities?

you havent even had lectures yet...i dont get it?
    you said you came to uni for the degree.. havent been to a class yet and want to drop out.
    it just doesnt make sense. if you dont like your flatmates, and cant get on with them, move out.
    but youre all adults and im sure you can work something out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eemooz)
    youve only been there three days, and want to drop out because you dont like your flatmates/ their activities?

you havent even had lectures yet...i dont get it?
    you said you came to uni for the degree.. havent been to a class yet and want to drop out.
    it just doesnt make sense. if you dont like your flatmates, and cant get on with them, move out.
    but youre all adults and im sure you can work something out?
    Because the way I'm seeing it now is: I'd rather be happy at home doing my degree than be stressed trying to live a student life at the same time.
    Just so much has hit me at once that I have to deal with and I'd rather just be focusing on my studies than dealing with social situations that I could be avoiding.

ReputationRep:
    Because the way I'm seeing it now is: I'd rather be happy at home doing my degree than be stressed trying to live a student life at the same time.
    Just so much has hit me at once that I have to deal with and I'd rather just be focusing on my studies than dealing with social situations that I could be avoiding.
    then live at home and commute?
    at some point youre going to have to deal with situations you dont like.. you cant avoid them all together.
    the best thing to do would be to try and get on with your flat mates.. you dont need to drink and go out, theres other things you can do as a flat - like baking, watching tv shows together, hosting get togethers..

ReputationRep:
    can't you do a room swap?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are a very outgoing person, or like the clubbing scene, halls isn't going to be the best experience.

It's massively overrated, unless you like frequent clubbing and parties. And even then, the chance of you sharing halls with people who you'd chose to be friends with if you had the choice is quite slim.

But. It will get better. You haven't even started your course yet FFS. That is where you'll have the opportunity to meet like minded people. Join societies, volunteer.

Unfortunately, freshers fail to realise that the halls experience is only a tiny part of the overall uni experience. I think they expect it to work out like an American chic-flick or something... Of course the reality is going to suck on occasion. That's life, be strong and get through the first couple of months. You'll soon make friends from your course, societies etc.

I can't think of any of my uni friends who is sharing their final year house with people they shared first year halls with....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.