Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think it would be practical for me to commute to uni from Cumbria to Preston? watch

ReputationRep:
    Now, it's only my second day but I can see how I'll have a tough time adapting. I'm currently living in halls and it's my second day at uni, I just stayed my first night. I'm not excited or having a great time, I feel awful and miss family life and how simple and peaceful it was. I don't mind the course but living here just feels hard.

Out of the time I've been here I should have had 3 meals, and I'm eating the first right now because I forced myself to do it. I really miss home life.

Do you think I would be able to commute from home, down to uni and come back again? I received my timetable and I am supposed to be in classes on Mondays, Thursdays and halfway through Fridays. I'm trying to stretch myself to stay for 2 weeks as that's when 2 family members visit. I have 3 older siblings that have made it through uni and I feel so guilty I'm not even able to hack 2 days of it and want to leave. I feel too lonely right now and don't feel like I have the knowledge or support of freshers societies and events on in the area for me to join.

The cooking and taking time out of your day for that seems harder for me too. I was given some home cooked meats by my dad which I already miss, and I had a tough time trying to put together a sandwich!!!!! I can do it in 30 seconds at home but here everything just seems to have scaled to so much of a higher difficulty and I don't understand why!

I'm finding it hard to make friends here, just talking to people seems difficult as they already look like they have something preplanned.

I'm considering doing a civil engineering apprenticeship back in Cumbria. I could actually learn to drive up there and when I get a car I could drive to and from the apprenticeship place. The problem is I got a text from my dad saying how proud he was of me. I feel like if I leave uni I'll be throwing it all back into his face, and we all made such an effort of coming here and dropping me off. He's spent money on me for food and such to get here, I even have a new laptop to do design work on!!

I don't see how I can do this to him which is why I'll ask again, does anyone think it's practical for me to commute from Cumbria (north west) down to Preston for 10AM in the morning and leave at like 4PM where I'd probably get home at 6-7PM. Does anyone do this commute? Also, does anyone think I should leave and join the civil engineering apprenticeship if I get it??

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.