The Student Room Group

Personal Statement and Applying to Uni

I am a bit stressed writing my personal statement and getting my UCAS ready to apply! I want to study History, but my personal statement a bit average, and some people at my college have done loads of drafts. I want to get my application in as early as possible so that I have a higher chance of being accepted. I'm worried that I won't have enough academic things to say about myself and will talk too much about my job and extra-curricular activities.
If anybody has any tips/advice about how to handle this I would be very grateful! Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by freya17
I am a bit stressed writing my personal statement and getting my UCAS ready to apply! I want to study History, but my personal statement a bit average, and some people at my college have done loads of drafts. I want to get my application in as early as possible so that I have a higher chance of being accepted. I'm worried that I won't have enough academic things to say about myself and will talk too much about my job and extra-curricular activities.
If anybody has any tips/advice about how to handle this I would be very grateful! Thanks!

Stop comparing yourself to other people. There's no law that says what a "draft" is, so they could have just changed one sentence, declared it a new draft, and thus done "loads of drafts". That doesn't say anything about the quality or content.
Key rule my school told me is 75% educational and why you want to study the course, 25% personal.
Most of your statement should be academic. Extra curriculars need only be about 100 rods with a focus on relevant translatable skills. Only talk about work experience if it's relevant. Try our PS builder tool (see my sig) to help collect your ideas and with structure.
Also, as long as you apply before 15th January, your chance is no different for getting accepted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending