The Student Room Group

Topless protesters disrupt Muslim conference, Paris

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly

You schooled him that's for sure :tongue:

Only because he asked for it. If you are going to correct someone's English you should at least make sure you are right about it first.
Original post by M0nkey Thunder
And what makes you think they'll listen to 2 topless women?

They won't, but someone else might. Someone else who wouldn't have heard of any of this if they hadn't have protested in the manner they did.
Original post by Tooly
You're missing the point. These women know that people who support domestic violence are beyond repair, so to speak, and so they weren't trying to convince them otherwise. What they were trying to do was raise awareness of the conference and the ideals raised in that conference so that we as a society can know that this sort of stuff goes on in the West, which they have obviously succeeded in.

Omg stop posting my posts before I do!
Original post by Good bloke
Only because he asked for it. If you are going to correct someone's English you should at least make sure you are right about it first.

Well "Muslim" isn't English obviously. I was referring to its Arabic spelling but hey ho, feel as though you've achieved something massive.
Reply 124
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Omg stop posting my posts before I do!

Great minds think alike :P
Original post by Errm336
Why are you reluctant to use "Muslim" and "Quran" instead of your preferred terms of "Moslem" and "Koran"?

I am writing in English so I use English words that have stood the test of time. If, one day, I decide to write in Arabic I will use Arabic words. You'll be moaning about my use of gaol and mediaeval, and my ability to punctuate correctly and spell paedophile properly next.
I am writing in English so I use English words that have stood the test of time. If, one day, I decide to write in Arabic I will use Arabic words. You'll be moaning about my use of gaol and mediaeval, and my ability to punctuate correctly and spell paedophile properly next.

You are actually using transliterated terms.

Apparently the correct term, transliterated, is "Muslim" and "Quran", according to the people who post in ISOC and the Religious forum.

Perhaps you would care to take your antiquated use of terms and leave them for times bygone, like you advocate for certain Islamic ideas/concepts?
Well "Muslim" isn't English obviously. I was referring to its Arabic spelling but hey ho, feel as though you've achieved something massive.

On the other hand, Moslem is English and we are conversing in English. How it might be spelled in Arabic (and it isn't Muslim, as Arabic doesn't even use the Roman alphabet) is irrelevant. I haven't achieved anything - just pointed out the error in your attempt to achieve something massive.
Original post by Lady Comstock
Would you be happy for a racist organisation to hold an event discussing whether they should use violence against ethnic minorities to pursue their aims or not?

If the event could be used to help change the attendees POV on using violence

You don't think that calls for killing and mass rape, and unprovoked kicking count as incidents then? I've watched the video, and several attendees clearly rushed onto the stage to assault them instead of leaving the security chaps to do their job.

what even, where have i ever claimed "that calls for killing and mass rape, and unprovoked kicking", nor have I defended the actions of attendees, specifically the lad who thought it correct to try to kick the unruly protesters.

Original post by Viva Emptiness
Are you suggesting that such "protestors", as you say, would ever be invited to actually air their opinions in a calm manner at such an event? Or even any "outsider" opinions at all?

Of course there was no other reports of violence at the event. They save that **** for home, and their wives.

I can't decide that they would ever be denied the request to attend the event and voice their opinions in the correct manner, as I have no evidence to prove they ever did make such a request.

I'm not even sure what I'm being challenged on here:lolwut:

I haven't defended violence against women

I haven't defended the lad who decided to shake his leg about - whom the French authorities would have to deal with

I haven't defended the disruptive behaviour of the radical "feminists" - who decided to parade themselves as topless in the hope raising women's rights..

I only sought to challenge the scathing comments regarding the organisers and Muslims in general it seems, or am i wrong to challenge the view that all Muslims beat their wives:rolleyes:

Original post by Josb
Is it possible to ask the CT to remove your mod status?

Of course:smile: though I am proud of being a part of a very diverse team that support D&CA, you can always request it in TSR news, help and feedback or Ask the Community Team. I recommend the latter.
Original post by Tooly
You're missing the point. These women know that people who support domestic violence are beyond repair, so to speak, and so they weren't trying to convince them otherwise. What they were trying to do was raise awareness of the conference and the ideals raised in that conference so that we as a society can know that this sort of stuff goes on in the West, which they have obviously succeeded in.

Are you oblivious to my responses or what? I already stated that the west is already aware that Islam is "backward and misogynistic". This "awareness" they're attempting to raise is near enough negligible after how much people have already concluded Islam is associated with almost every negative term in the dictionary. Feel free to believe that they've succeeded, but in my eyes they haven't accomplished much- if anything at all.

Well, I'm done discussing this. It was "nice" talking to everyone? I just hope some of you aren't too offended by what I've said. I don't want to conform to an idea that I don't believe in. So bai.
Original post by Errm336
You are actually using transliterated terms.

Well knock me backwards with a siwaak! They have been transliterated into English as Moslem and Koran, and then have suffered an attempt to re-transliterate them by politically correct apologists. I can't stand political correctness, apologists or any kind of fellow-travelling.

I'll make a bargain with you: when Islam stops advocating slavery, wife-punishment, stoning, jizya and punishment for apostasy I will start using Muslim and Qur'an (you forgot the apostrophe, which is ironic in one so keen to correct others on supposed errors in Arabic transliteration).
On the other hand, Moslem is English and we are conversing in English. How it might be spelled in Arabic (and it isn't Muslim, as Arabic doesn't even use the Roman alphabet) is irrelevant. I haven't achieved anything - just pointed out the error in your attempt to achieve something massive.

Not trying to achieve much actually, just getting across that it's the preferred term to be used, whatever your justification may be.

As mentioned previously, I'm done discussing this topic and rest my case.
Not trying to achieve much actually, just getting across that it's the preferred term to be used,

Whenever I see that phrase I always ask preferred by whom? Not by me.
Reply 133
Are you oblivious to my responses or what? I already stated that the west is already aware that Islam is "backward and misogynistic". This "awareness" they're attempting to raise is near enough negligible after how much people have already concluded Islam is associated with almost every negative term in the dictionary. Feel free to believe that they've succeeded, but in my eyes they haven't accomplished much- if anything at all.

Well, I'm done discussing this. It was "nice" talking to everyone? I just hope some of you aren't too offended by what I've said. I don't want to conform to an idea that I don't believe in. So bai.

No I am not oblivious to your posts. I'm not really sure what sort of point, if any, you're trying to make. From your most recent posts you seemed to believe that these women were trying to persuade the conference that domestic violence is wrong, I was just making you aware of their actual reasoning.

Sure, the difference they have made may be negligible, but why does that mean they shouldn't have done anything? Should we just sit back for the next 10 years and hope that domestic violence in religions goes away? Change doesn't happen just like that, it will take many small events like this to keep the society aware that this sort of thing is going on right now.

Not really sure why any of us would be offended, being offended by differing views is generally a religious trait, and personally I'm agnostic.

Thanks for your "contribution" to the debate, consisting of going off on a tangent and attempting to correct spelling.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by getfunky!

[*]I haven't defended violence against women

Do you condemn the Quranic passage that gives husbands permission to physically discipline their wives in any way?
Well knock me backwards with a siwaak! They have been transliterated into English as Moslem and Koran, and then have suffered an attempt to re-transliterate them by politically correct apologists. I can't stand political correctness, apologists or any kind of fellow-travelling.

I'll make a bargain with you: when Islam stops advocating slavery, wife-punishment, stoning, jizya and punishment for apostasy I will start using Muslim and Qur'an (you forgot the apostrophe, which is ironic in one so keen to correct others on supposed errors in Arabic transliteration).

So you want to cling onto your antiquated and outdated views but then you go onto criticise others who also do so?

Seems pretty hypocritical, not to mention a tad ironic but hey, if it floats your boat, then you're welcome to. :smile:
Original post by getfunky!
am i wrong to challenge the view that all Muslims beat their wives

I'm not aware that anyone posting in this thread is under the misapprehension that all (or even most) Moslem men beat their wives, at least in the west. However, there is no doubt that Islam advocates that husbands punish their wives physically for disobedience. Are you going to challenge that? Or are you going to acquiesce in it, perhaps ignoring it for your own part?
Reply 137
As a muslim myself, seeing extremists like this genuinely irritates me. From what I've learnt about Islam I've always been given the impression that women in general are emotionally more sensitive than men and hence it's our role in society to treat them with care and love. It's crazy how the delusion of extremists can give the impression of Islam being a completely different religion entirely. For goodness sake, Islam itself means 'peace' so what these individuals think can be gained in beating their wives is beyond me.

What annoys me is that us normal muslims always have to deal with the consequences of their actions too. More people than I would like will see these extremist headlines and assume that all muslims share the same views/are similar in character... :frown:
Original post by Errm336
So you want to cling onto your antiquated and outdated views but then you go onto criticise others who also do so?

Seems pretty hypocritical, not to mention a tad ironic but hey, if it floats your boat, then you're welcome to. :smile:

If the worst thing about me is that I don't spell words in accordance with your ill-tutored views then so be it. Fortunately, my antiquated spelling doesn't cause superstitious people to kill others for apostasy, nor does it encourage punishment of wives. How about your antiquated views?
Original post by Rezy
As a muslim myself, seeing extremists like this genuinely irritates me. From what I've learnt about Islam I've always been given the impression that women in general are emotionally more sensitive than men and hence it's our role in society to treat them with care and love. It's crazy how the delusion of extremists can give the impression of Islam being a completely different religion entirely. For goodness sake, Islam itself means 'peace' so what these individuals think can be gained in beating their wives is beyond me.

What annoys me is that us normal muslims always have to deal with the consequences of their actions too. More people than I would like will see these extremist headlines and assume that all muslims share the same views/are similar in character... :frown:

You must be new here...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending