Turn on thread page Beta

Why do so many people think Nigeria is Muslim..? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually a little shocked. Just searched 'Nigeria' on TSR, curious to see what would come up, and I've realised a very large number of people seem to think Nigeria is a Muslim country. Some even have some convoluted studies on the 'persecution of Christians' in Nigeria.

Mate...
    Hate to break it to you, but Islam is only common in the North of Nigeria.
    I'm from Nigeria. Imo State, look it up. We go back every now and then, and I know for a fact that you won't travel more than 5 minutes in Southeastern Nigeria and most parts of Southern Nigeria without coming across a church, a billboard advertising a church, a billboard advertising a vigil of some sort, or a bus with the words 'Jesus is Lord' etc. (it gets a tad annoying to be honest. Everyone's a preacher these days, as my parents say). At the end of the large majority of Nollywood films, you'll see 'To God (or Jesus) Be The Glory) shining brightly at the end.

I'm not saying we're a Christian nation, but we are absolutely not an Islamic nation.

Just to cover all bases, there are other religions also found typically in (again) Southern Nigeria. Much like the variety of languages in Nigeria, religion is not a fixed national thing (i.e. there are many. The muslims of the North, the Christians, the traditionalists etc.)

I know there's been a lot of coverage on the Boko Haram problem lately, but I would think that would actually point to the fact that not all of Nigeria is Muslim. Most of Nigeria is opposed to Boko Haram -> Most of Nigeria does not support Sharia law -> Nigeria is likely not a fully Muslim country? That would be my line of thinking, if I didn't have first-hand knowledge about Nigeria not being an Islamic nation. But that's just me.

Where has this Islamic Nigeria idea come from..? I'm genuinely confused.

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Nigeria is not a muslim country. I would know. I'm from there

Majority of Nigeria is Christian. There are over 80-90+ million Christians in Nigeria. But the north of Nigeria is considered to be muslim. That's where you'd go to if you wanted to find a large proportion of muslims.

There are also many many other religions and tribal religions throughout Nigeria, same as there are also many different tribal languages and tribal cultures.

Currently, the nigerian president is muslim and there have been several muslim presidents before him but the nation has pretty much always been a Christian majority.

However we don't necessarily call Nigeria a Christian country, but it is not a muslim country either

Nigeria just knows how to divide religion from The State.

So it's more like a federation. Hence why it is called 'The Federal republic of Nigeria.'

ReputationRep:
    It's "those lot" on TSR, need to read their other threads.

ReputationRep:
    Because Boko Haram. I thinks.

ReputationRep:
    maybe cos the president is? and theres lots of muslims in lagos. why is it even important?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delciate)
    I'm actually a little shocked. Just searched 'Nigeria' on TSR, curious to see what would come up, and I've realised a very large number of people seem to think Nigeria is a Muslim country. Some even have some convoluted studies on the 'persecution of Christians' in Nigeria.

Mate...
    Hate to break it to you, but Islam is only common in the North of Nigeria.
    I'm from Nigeria. Imo State, look it up. We go back every now and then, and I know for a fact that you won't travel more than 5 minutes in Southeastern Nigeria and most parts of Southern Nigeria without coming across a church, a billboard advertising a church, a billboard advertising a vigil of some sort, or a bus with the words 'Jesus is Lord' etc. (it gets a tad annoying to be honest. Everyone's a preacher these days, as my parents say). At the end of the large majority of Nollywood films, you'll see 'To God (or Jesus) Be The Glory) shining brightly at the end.

I'm not saying we're a Christian nation, but we are absolutely not an Islamic nation.

Just to cover all bases, there are other religions also found typically in (again) Southern Nigeria. Much like the variety of languages in Nigeria, religion is not a fixed national thing (i.e. there are many. The muslims of the North, the Christians, the traditionalists etc.)

I know there's been a lot of coverage on the Boko Haram problem lately, but I would think that would actually point to the fact that not all of Nigeria is Muslim. Most of Nigeria is opposed to Boko Haram -> Most of Nigeria does not support Sharia law -> Nigeria is likely not a fully Muslim country? That would be my line of thinking, if I didn't have first-hand knowledge about Nigeria not being an Islamic nation. But that's just me.

Where has this Islamic Nigeria idea come from..? I'm genuinely confused.
    white people are ignorant what do you expect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em211997)
    maybe cos the president is? and theres lots of muslims in lagos. why is it even important?
    The president has nothing to do with it really. We've had several other muslim presidents of Nigeria before this one but it's not a 'muslim' country. And we've also had several christian presidents. Like I said above, Nigeria knows how to separate religion from The State.

Like you said anyways, why is it even important? lol no idea what OP is getting at

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why you're shocked. Besides Prince scams, when Nigeria is mentioned in the media it's about Boko Haram. You can't expect everyone to know or care about the little details of every country in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibola240)
    I'm not sure why you're shocked. Besides Prince scams, when Nigeria is mentioned in the media it's about Boko Haram. You can't expect everyone to know or care about the little details of every country in the world.
    Honestly, you're right, ignorance shouldn't surprise me any more. It gets to me because I'm one of those people that hates a) generalisations about a people or a country and b) people that speak without getting their facts straight. It's a pet peeve

And no, you can't expect everyone to know or care about all the details, but people know America has many practiced religions. People know countries like China have a large Buddhist following. Many European countries have prominent Christian populations. Algeria and Egypt are mainly Muslim. Why is that when it comes to Nigeria, I can't expect them to know that we have no main religion?

Prince scams? You mean 419?. I can't quite believe some people fell for the whole 'send me your bank details so i can give you money' lie. I wouldn't have thought anyone to be... naive enough to believe things like that, but there you have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iwouldliketoknow)
    white people are ignorant what do you expect?
    All white people?

ReputationRep:
    Most British Nigerians are Christian as well it seems. I wonder why?

Nigeria is a secular state (thank god) according to the constitution

Section 101 of the Nigerian Constitution provides: “The Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion as State Religion.”

ReputationRep:
    Oh we know Nigeria isn't Muslim. That's why Boko Haram are rampaging and massacrering people. Spreading the good word like Muhammad did lol.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, you're right, ignorance shouldn't surprise me any more. It gets to me because I'm one of those people that hates a) generalisations about a people or a country and b) people that speak without getting their facts straight. It's a pet peeve

And no, you can't expect everyone to know or care about all the details, but people know America has many practiced religions. People know countries like China have a large Buddhist following. Many European countries have prominent Christian populations. Algeria and Egypt are mainly Muslim. Why is that when it comes to Nigeria, I can't expect them to know that we have no main religion?

Prince scams? You mean 419?. I can't quite believe some people fell for the whole 'send me your bank details so i can give you money' lie. I wouldn't have thought anyone to be... naive enough to believe things like that, but there you have it.
    haha, fair enough. I understand where you're coming from.

Yeah, some people sadly fall for it. These days the victims are mainly old people who are not familiar with the scam. I also heard somewhere that these scams intentionallly use bad English to filter out smart people who would quickly recognise it is a scam.

ReputationRep:
    Who actually cares tho? So what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by em211997)
    Who actually cares tho? So what
    Thank you for your intelligent response.

May you go forth with your intelligence and bestow upon others the exact amount of brilliance you have bestowed upon this conversation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibola240)
    haha, fair enough. I understand where you're coming from.

Yeah, some people sadly fall for it. These days the victims are mainly old people who are not familiar with the scam. I also heard somewhere that these scams intentionallly use bad English to filter out smart people who would quickly recognise it is a scam.
    Yeah, I suppose it all boils down to widespread ignorance on anything pertaining to Africa.

I mean, you hear people say things like 'I visited Africa last year' or 'So and so paid a visit to Africa to talk about endangered animals or whatever'. Things like that annoy me. Africa is a bloody big country. Where in Africa did you visit? Visiting Tunisia is in no way comparable to visiting, say, DRC.

A really good book about 419, just if you're interested is, 'I do not come to you by chance' by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani.
    It really highlights the background of the so-called 419-ers and looks at them from a more humane viewpoint.

I'm not supporting 419 in any way, just thought you might maybe like to read it

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your intelligent response.

May you go forth with your intelligence and bestow upon others the exact amount of brilliance you have bestowed upon this conversation.
    what I'm not entitled to an opinion/voice? unlike nigeria there's freedom of speech on tsr

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, there's not a clear divide between the two groups. It's pretty much 50-50. Some estimates have made it much higher in the favour of Islam and others give the edge slightly to Christianity. So saying Nigeria is Muslim isn't really ridiculous and with the focus on Boko Haram, It's going to be overestimated some more.

But just being Nigerian doesn't give any authority on the religious demographics of the country anyway. Especially when a lot of British Nigerians are from the south and their parents likely Christian.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are black.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.