Turn on thread page Beta

Do I need to register with the on campus health centre if I'm living at home? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what they could offer me that my GP couldn't see
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hol918)
    I don't see what they could offer me that my GP couldn't see
    You never have to register - they can't make you. But you do need to consider what you will do if you're ill, and whether your current GP will be easy to get to (in terms of location, appointment systems, and opening hours). They're suggesting the campus health centre as it is designed to be easily accessible for students.

If your current GP meets your needs then there is no reason to change. The reason they promote it is because most students don't live at home so will need to register, and it's something people won't think about until they actually need it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As per Juno, they only really have a campus medical centre for students on campus when they'd usually have to go out of their way to get to a medical centre. You don't have to change if you're local, but it's preferred for people who are moving to the uni from outside the area.

At my first university (Gloucestershire), they needed to provide one as many others were a pig to get to. At my second university (Worcester), the docs are relatively close to the university (2 within a 2 mile radius).

ReputationRep:
    No, if you're living at home stick with your own GP, especially if you are happy with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you live at or near home. I registered at the University practice and found it convenient and good. They will be in tune with student issues.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.