Turn on thread page Beta

MATALAN Interview watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a group interview in Matalan on Saturday does anyone know what it's like? What type of things they ask? And what the pay is like (I'm 16)- also anything you think is relevant

Any help/advise would be appreciated ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
    I have a group interview in Matalan on Saturday does anyone know what it's like? What type of things they ask? And what the pay is like (I'm 16)- also anything you think is relevant

Any help/advise would be appreciated ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I went for an interview there this time last year and got the role. For me, surprisingly, it wasn't nearly as awful as I imagined it to be.

What happened in my interview was first of all the group sits in a circle and the interviewers pair you up with somebody. They give you ten minutes to have a chat and find out three things about each other. Once the time is up, they lead you into a conference room and there will be a line of Matalan employees. This looks daunting at first, but honestly the employees are not all there to assess you, they'll introduce themselves and each are assigned a specific candidate to interview later on.

Once you're sat down and comfy in the conference room, you will have to stand up and introduce your partner to the group. Just say their name, age, and a hobby of theirs if you get really stuck. Then you get to relax for 10 - 15 minutes while the Matalan staff give you a talk about what the job entails, what the interview will consist of, etc.

The next part was the hardest for me. You get split into groups of three and are asked to do a roleplay on what makes good customer service, what makes bad. Basically, they want to see how you interact and work with your group. Getting up in front of the group will be awkward but everybody feels the same and being nervous is understandable so they won't expect an incredible scripted play. Just make sure you contribute to the group and be a friendly face to others when they have to get up and do their bit. Even if a silly joke somebody makes isn't funny, as long as it's not offensive then do a polite laugh anyway. It goes a long way.

The last part is a one-to-one interview. The woman who interviewed me was absolutely lovely, and all the other interviewers I encountered seemed very approachable and friendly. I cannot remember any questions that I was asked but they seemed to be competancy based questions. The most common one I've heard has been "Give a time when you have worked under pressure" or "Why would you like to work for us?" The questions were straight-forward enough and not too hard to answer and that's coming from somebody who did zero preparation before hand (I do not recommend not preparing, just in case!).

And that should be it!

In all it takes about an hour or so and I can honestly say of all the interviews I've been to, the Matalan one was the easiest and most pleasant. My experience and information might be a bit dated considering it's been a year since I was interviewed, but as an employee I genuinely enjoy working there and find the company to be great.

As for wages, the pay does tend to be minimum wage and is broken up into certain age groups. For you, you'll be on approximately £3.80 an hour. This will go up when you turn 18 and will go up again when you turn 21 (I think so anyway. I'm still in the 18 - 21 age bracket so I'm not 100% sure).

Good luck! Hope it goes well!

(I hope this posted okay? I'm on mobile and it's playing up.)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, really appreciate it (feel slightly better going in not completely blind). Role play... Yay. Can't imagine anyone actually enjoys that :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.