Turn on thread page Beta

What's the London black girl accent called? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Black girls in London have a way if speaking that I find extremely irritating. It's what I would describe as a ghetto accent, but I was wondering if it has a name?

I realise some black girls in London get good grades and go onto professional roles. Does their accent also change when they get older?

Apologies if I've offended anyone. I'm black, but my accent is a standard RP one, I struggle to relate to relate with or speak to people with ghetto British accents.

That said, I like African accents, I find them funny, especially when they are making tannoy announcements on TFL hehe. They are funny, when they aren't being aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    You're saying this and you're black? Are you mentally ill or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    a south east London accent? idk, all i know is not all black girls speak that way, and they're generally not aggressive either, so it shouldn't really be linked to their race. It's a misleading stereotype tbh.

and no, accents dont magically change the older you get. It may slightly change if you move to a new place for a significant amount of time, but it generally never changes completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoflower)
    You're saying this and you're black? Are you mentally ill or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you making fun if people with mental illness?

You're probably one if those black girls that I'm referring to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheReckless)
    a south east London accent? idk, all i know is not all black girls speak that way, and they're generally not aggressive either, so it shouldn't really be linked to their race. It's a misleading stereotype tbh.

and no, accents dont magically change the older you get. It may slightly change if you move to a new place for a significant amount of time, but it generally never changes completely.
    Yes, I hear it in South East London.

Yes, I know it's not associated with race, not generalising to all black girls. It's a regional accent.

ReputationRep:
    I always ask myself this exact question as well. Their accent is weird. It's true when they grow older, it actually changes. It depends on the profession they go into though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    There is no "black girl accent", delusional child.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the black girls I know don't sound 'ghetto'. However, I'm not from south east London so idk lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Its there. Especially in London black girls

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    broken english

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. You got it right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    trying so hard not to call you an idiot. i don't even have an answer for you because i don't know what accent you're claiming black girls have.

some of the students on this site grate on me so much. your phrasing is so off key.

ReputationRep:
    I think Ghetto would suffice.

But like someone said - Broken English too.

ReputationRep:
    The accent you're referring to is called Multicultral English or Jafaican accent. Within London(and parts of Kent and Essex), the majority of young black girls have the accent. But, I'd say for black girls above 25, it drops to about 25% to 30%. Even those who start off with it, drop a lot the features of the accent when they reach 18/19. You hear variants of the accent in other part of England like Birgmingham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Black girls in London have a way if speaking that I find extremely irritating. It's what I would describe as a ghetto accent, but I was wondering if it has a name?

I realise some black girls in London get good grades and go onto professional roles. Does their accent also change when they get older?

Apologies if I've offended anyone. I'm black, but my accent is a standard RP one, I struggle to relate to relate with or speak to people with ghetto British accents.

That said, I like African accents, I find them funny, especially when they are making tannoy announcements on TFL hehe. They are funny, when they aren't being aggressive.
    You're black?

yh right

ReputationRep:
    Fruli I am convinced you are not a black girl. Stop.

(Original post by Fruli)

As someone already mentioned there is no "black girl accent" but I know what you mean what you're referring to is the typical London street accent which is mainly slang. Black people in general don't speak that way only in certain parts of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruli)
    Black girls in London have a way if speaking that I find extremely irritating. It's what I would describe as a ghetto accent, but I was wondering if it has a name?I realise some black girls in London get good grades and go onto professional roles. Does their accent also change when they get older?Apologies if I've offended anyone. I'm black, but my accent is a standard RP one, I struggle to relate to relate with or speak to people with ghetto British accents.That said, I like African accents, I find them funny, especially when they are making tannoy announcements on TFL hehe. They are funny, when they aren't being aggressive.
    Girl, please.

(Original post by TheReckless)

You always take these racists seriously.

ReputationRep:
    What makes the accent GHETTO? You're literally just using that word because of their colour. And stop lying about your race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherie Amour)
    You always take these racists seriously.

Nothing gets to them more than someone who actually educates them as opposed to giving them the reaction they want.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.