Can universities increase their entry requirements if your predicted grades are high?

Watch
HenryKenry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Theres this huge thing going around in my sixth form which is really getting to me- you would think at this time people would be pestering their teachers for high predicted grades, like I am, but people are actually asking teachers to predict them a low grade!They are justifying this by saying that upon getting the conditional offer the entry requirement that is seen on the website of universities will change. A lot of people are saying that if you have high predicted grades then the offer will increase so if the predicted grades are low getting a place is easier. Is this true?
RosiePosie23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've heard at a few open days that some universities will require you to get your predicted grades if they are higher. They say that this is because they want people to work to their full potential and not just scrape the entry requirements if they can do better. I can't imagine that they would refuse if you got the entry requirements but not your predicted grades. Although maybe it would be safer to not have predicted grades that are too much higher than the course requirements.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HenryKenry)
Theres this huge thing going around in my sixth form which is really getting to me- you would think at this time people would be pestering their teachers for high predicted grades, like I am, but people are actually asking teachers to predict them a low grade!They are justifying this by saying that upon getting the conditional offer the entry requirement that is seen on the website of universities will change. A lot of people are saying that if you have high predicted grades then the offer will increase so if the predicted grades are low getting a place is easier. Is this true?
This will vary on a university-by-university or even a department-by-department basis. In cases where they do this, I very much doubt that they'd inflate the grades by much. The important point is that as long as your predicted grades are realistic, you shouldn't have a problem. You shouldn't really be asking to have your predicted grades inflated or deflated to improve your chances, your predicted grades are supposed to be predicted grades!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (125)
28.22%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.09%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.64%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.26%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.8%

Watched Threads