Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really need help with this. I've applied for my maintenance loans and the grant. I've already sent in my mums income details on the PFF2 and now they want proof my mum is a single mum. now here's the tricky part. my dad died over ten years ago and this was back home in Kenya and my mum hasn't re-married. i told them all of this and they told me my mum can prove her single parent hood by council tax letters discount or something like that. MY MUMS BEEN HOMELESS FOR NEARLY 2 YEARS NOW AND HAS BEEN LIVING WITH MY AUNTY!!!!!! I could obtain benefit letters but its from 2010 so i doubt they'll accept it. WTF DO I DO, I'M GOING INSANE, PLEASE HELP? the only thing i could think of is my mums immegration letters which could possibly prove that my dads been deceased for years but im not sure if that will be of any help because they'll probably think she could of gotten married since then.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you can change it and say your mum is not supporting you and you are independent? I did that when I was 24, my parents did not support me anymore and I was working part time so I applied, told them I got nothing to do with my parents and they accepted it because I was supporting myself while working. If you won't be working then this won't help.

Did you tell them your mum is homeless? Surely they have had cases like yours before.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, you can prove it by showing them your dad's death certificate. I'm sorry about this. Hope it all works out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG17)
    Maybe you can change it and say your mum is not supporting you and you are independent? I did that when I was 24, my parents did not support me anymore and I was working part time so I applied, told them I got nothing to do with my parents and they accepted it because I was supporting myself while working. If you won't be working then this won't help.

Did you tell them your mum is homeless? Surely they have had cases like yours before.
    Because of my age they said i need to have lived away from mum for 3 years to be classed as an independant student. Ive told them everything, i feel like they're already setting me up to fail and i havent even started uni yet!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xlxl23)
    Hey, you can prove it by showing them your dad's death certificate. I'm sorry about this. Hope it all works out
    My mum doesnt have that, they were already separated when he died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AG17)

two of my brothers and my sister applied, they didnt ask for any of this from them!
    I feel like im being told the wrong information? Could that be a possibility? All they had to do is fill in the pff form with mums income and everything was fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annazouks)
    two of my brothers and my sister applied, they didnt ask for any of this from them!
    I feel like im being told the wrong information? Could that be a possibility? All they had to do is fill in the pff form with mums income and everything was fine.
    They don't really do this intentionally, unfortunately there are hundreds of people working in student finance and very often the outcome depends on that persons opinion on the other end. They have set basic rules and frames in which you have to fit in to get the money, if your case is unusual they simply do not have it written down what to do in such situation so everyone who works there makes a different decision. Very hard to deal with them because of this. Just literally send what ever you can, what ever papers you have.

ReputationRep:
    Because of my age they said i need to have lived away from mum for 3 years to be classed as an independant student. Ive told them everything, i feel like they're already setting me up to fail and i havent even started uni yet!!
    This is quite ridiculous - makes absolutely no sense - if you have been on your own for year or two you still need help. This has to go in complaints. Which is actually maybe your solution - there is complaint and appeal email on they student finance website - try that - explain your situation, maybe they will look through it again. You got nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    I really need help with this. I've applied for my maintenance loans and the grant. I've already sent in my mums income details on the PFF2 and now they want proof my mum is a single mum. now here's the tricky part. my dad died over ten years ago and this was back home in Kenya and my mum hasn't re-married. i told them all of this and they told me my mum can prove her single parent hood by council tax letters discount or something like that. MY MUMS BEEN HOMELESS FOR NEARLY 2 YEARS NOW AND HAS BEEN LIVING WITH MY AUNTY!!!!!! I could obtain benefit letters but its from 2010 so i doubt they'll accept it. WTF DO I DO, I'M GOING INSANE, PLEASE HELP? the only thing i could think of is my mums immegration letters which could possibly prove that my dads been deceased for years but im not sure if that will be of any help because they'll probably think she could of gotten married since then.
    Hi. All you need to do is to ask your mum to see a solicitor and request a letter of marital status declaration saying that she is single and include your customer reference number with student finance.The solicitor would charge a fee of around £40 for this letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickinleye)
    Hi. All you need to do is to ask your mum to see a solicitor and request a letter of marital status declaration saying that she is single and include your customer reference number with student finance.The solicitor would charge a fee of around £40 for this letter.
    Thank you for that piece of information, it'll definitely come in handy. I decided to call sf yesterday and they told me as long as I stated on the initial submission that my mums single they wont need anything else from me. I took the guys name down so that if they talk **** next time ill ask to speak to a manager and tell him/her that such and such person told me on this date .......
    in the mean time ill get the letter just in case.
    thanks A lot!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.