Turn on thread page Beta

Which textbook for physics? watch

ReputationRep:
    I can buy only one of these two books:

1) Advanced Physics for You by Keith Johnson

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Phy...hysics+for+you

2) Advanced Physics by Steve Adams

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-Phy...hysics+for+you

Which one have people used and which one should I buy?
    Got a B at AS and looking to get an A overall at A2.

ReputationRep:
    I have the Advanced Physics by Steve Adams textbook, I haven't used the other one. Advanced Physics covers topics in a lot of detail and I found it very useful in A Levels. However it does go a bit beyond what you need for A Level - I think it has calculus in it which A Level physics doesn't have. If you're seeking As / A*s then it's a good textbook. There are lots of questions included in the book but I don't think many of them have answers.

What physics exam board are you following? Is there not a decent board-specific textbook you could get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlesanaWill)
    I have the Advanced Physics by Steve Adams textbook, I haven't used the other one. Advanced Physics covers topics in a lot of detail and I found it very useful in A Levels. However it does go a bit beyond what you need for A Level - I think it has calculus in it which A Level physics doesn't have. If you're seeking As / A*s then it's a good textbook. There are lots of questions included in the book but I don't think many of them have answers.

What physics exam board are you following? Is there not a decent board-specific textbook you could get?
    Yeah I am going for an A mainly. I wouldn't mind the extra in depth knowledge of the topic

I'm following the OCR B exam board and honestly the textbook isn't actually that good. I need a proper Physics textbook that explains the topics to me in depth

So you're recommending the Advanced Physics Steve Adams one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheLikeTheMango)
    Yeah I am going for an A mainly. I wouldn't mind the extra in depth knowledge of the topic

I'm following the OCR B exam board and honestly the textbook isn't actually that good. I need a proper Physics textbook that explains the topics to me in depth

So you're recommending the Advanced Physics Steve Adams one?
    Although that textbook covers all the concepts covered at A level with enough depth in explanation, I would suggest you find a specific book related to your exam board as with the Advanced book it's very hard to find the specific information you are looking for. How about getting the A2 book for new spec? I don't think the content would vary as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Although that textbook covers all the concepts covered at A level with enough depth in explanation, I would suggest you find a specific book related to your exam board as with the Advanced book it's very hard to find the specific information you are looking for. How about getting the A2 book for new spec? I don't think the content would vary as much.
    I already have the textbook for my exam board but it's average. I wanted a proper physics textbook to compliment my exam board one. Also, I've heard those advanced physics books has a mapping sheet for each exam board so it shows you which page leads to what topics

Haven't thought about getting the a2 book for the new spec though, will look into that

ReputationRep:
    I already have the textbook for my exam board but it's average. I wanted a proper physics textbook to compliment my exam board one. Also, I've heard those advanced physics books has a mapping sheet for each exam board so it shows you which page leads to what topics

Haven't thought about getting the a2 book for the new spec though, will look into that
    Yeah, in that case that book is good for reference but the mappings seem to be for the Advanced physics for you and not for Advanced physics, check here (page 2 onwards). I would suggest have the specification at hand and use the index at the end of the book to find the relevant information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Yeah, in that case that book is good for reference but the mappings seem to be for the Advanced physics for you and not for Advanced physics, check here (page 2 onwards). I would suggest have the specification at hand and use the index at the end of the book to find the relevant information.
    Thanks, I think I'll pick up the Advanced physics for you book first and then the Steve adams one later on in the year.

Btw, did you do Physics?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I think I'll pick up the Advanced physics for you book first and then the Steve adams one later on in the year.

Btw, did you do Physics?
    You would have to pay so much money on two books though, since there are new editions of them which colleges don't have for you to borrow.

Yes, I did but I'm not good at physics to give you advice on that

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 14, 2015
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.