The Student Room Group

How to get 4 A's at AS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PokerJuantas
Hahaha, love the spoiler. Around what time would you say it would be a good idea to start revising for A's?

In terms of my B grades, I've learnt from my mistakes, and I'm passing on my knowledge onto those who I wouldn't want to make the same mistakes as I!

Hmm, I think christmas (or just before if you'd like) would be a great time to really get down to making the notes on the things that you've learnt so far so that you're prepared for your mocks, and could get those notes out of the way.

I personally know how tempting it is to start revising topics that you're fairly confident in. Don't. It's a waste of time and it won't really get you anywhere. It's good to look over your notes after your lesson too, because it's easier to consolidate what you've learnt straight away and find out whether there are any topics you'll need to work on/ask for help on.

In terms of past papers, I'd say around March-April. Do as many as you can, and if you've done it once, do it again to ensure that you can complete it all without looking at your notes and ensuring that you've taken in the corrections once you've marked it or asked your teacher to mark it!

Original post by M0nkey Thunder
x

Original post by Jerome85
x

Original post by Illiberal Liberal
x

Thanks guys :yep: :hugs:
Reply 21
I'm into my first week of A-levels and so far I am coping.
After getting 3A* 6A and 2Bs at GCSE I was really hoping for some advice on how I can transfer this success over to A-level

I am studying:

Business studies
Economics
English literature
Maths

do all your hw/s listen in school finish your revision by march then on past papers do past papers throught the year make notesss and trust me tsr people chat ****tt
Original post by Skill Twix
And I got much worse
ABBB

Don't worry, we've still got this year! :yep: well done on your grades too :h:

May I also ask what subjects you did?

Maths, English Literature, Sociology and IT.
Original post by BioStudentx
You're definitely getting me and the thread owner confused. :yep:

What the hell are you talking about???

I haven't even started AS so obviously I don't have 4 A's???? Surely that was obvious considering I stated that I had just started my first week of AS and I had just finished GCSE's?

I haven't even started AS so obviously I don't have 4 A's???? Surely that was obvious considering I stated that I had just started my first week of AS and I had just finished GCSE's?

Also, I never claimed I was a genius?

Also, I never claimed I was a genius?

You've lost the plot - I'm not replying anymore.
Thank you :smile:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Don't worry, we've still got this year! :yep: well done on your grades too :h:

Maths, English Literature, Sociology and IT.

Hey thanks!I'm off to uni after disappointing A2 results(health problems eh)
Original post by Jerome85
a+ib

My previous post to BIOstudent was meant to be to you. Could you please clarify what you meant?
Original post by BioStudentx
You've lost the plot - I'm not replying anymore.

Sorry, this was supposed to be to Jerome, I'm still getting used to TSR
For economics and maths the key is past papers, many questions have the same layout and mark scheme. For economics, however, they can throw in curveball questions so basically memorize revision guides and practice questions from those too.
Original post by janereed98
For economics and maths the key is past papers, many questions have the same layout and mark scheme. For economics, however, they can throw in curveball questions so basically memorize revision guides and practice questions from those too.

Since economics is a reformed A-Level would the past papers from June 2015 and previous be relevant/useful?
Since economics is a reformed A-Level would the past papers from June 2015 and previous be relevant/useful?

Guess it depends on how different the syllabus and new exams are, really is a shame if not as they were definitely the best revision material for me coming close to exams
If it is the same topics there is also this great teacher who does online lessons on youtube called econplusdal
After getting 3A* 6A and 2Bs at GCSE I was really hoping for some advice on how I can transfer this success over to A-level

I am studying:

Business studies
Economics
English literature
Maths

I got AAAB in English Lit, Geog, Law and Spanish, not 4 A's, but my advice would be to stay organised. It is tremendously helpful to have your notes filed away and saves so much time when you go to start your revision. Also, for English Lit ensure that you've read you exam novel several times and that you do wider reading around your texts. Another tip is to manage your time, ensure you have downtime (obviously), but make use of those free periods for studying!
Original post by janereed98
If it is the same topics there is also this great teacher who does online lessons on youtube called econplusdal

Thank you, do you know what exam board his videos are for, I'm doing AQA
Original post by charlotted123
I got AAAB in English Lit, Geog, Law and Spanish, not 4 A's, but my advice would be to stay organised. It is tremendously helpful to have your notes filed away and saves so much time when you go to start your revision. Also, for English Lit ensure that you've read you exam novel several times and that you do wider reading around your texts. Another tip is to manage your time, ensure you have downtime (obviously), but make use of those free periods for studying!

Those are great results! By wider reading do you mean other novels or other things related to the texts for the exam? And I've been trying to be as organised as possible so far as I was very unorganised at GCSE but I got away with it luckily... I don't think I will be able to do that at AS

I am studying:

Business studies
Economics
English literature
Maths

Maths is practice, practice and past papers. Not much content as much as the technique is needed.
Those are great results! By wider reading do you mean other novels or other things related to the texts for the exam? And I've been trying to be as organised as possible so far as I was very unorganised at GCSE but I got away with it luckily... I don't think I will be able to do that at AS

Thank you! Your college may give you a sheet with what reading you need to do, mine gave me a document that instructed us week-by-week what to read to ensure we had a wide knowledge of the text and its context. This reading varied, sometimes it was journal articles and other times it was novels. Even videos can be useful, for example different film or stage adaptations of the texts. If you are unsure, ask your teacher for guidance.

It's a good idea that you're getting organised now, start as you mean to go on and get into the habit of filing your notes :smile:
Thank you, do you know what exam board his videos are for, I'm doing AQA

Doesn't specify an exam board but I did AQA and he was so helpful! Think most cover the same topics so should be fine

Quick Reply

Latest