Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started my A Levels last week and I'm doing French and Spanish (as well as Psychology and Politics)

I came out of my GCSEs with a high A* in both French and Spanish and I'm REALLY passionate about them.

But 1 and a half weeks into A Levels and I'm feeling pretty crappy

I always used to think I was really good at languages and I want to study them at university, but now I'm really struggling for some reason. I can't seem to form the most basic paragraphs when speaking, and I'm having to look up so much vocabulary in my dictionaries.

I've pretty much lost every ounce of self-confidence I ever had in regards to my ability in languages and it's actually getting me quite down?

It sounds so pathetic but I really care about my academic ability and all of a sudden I'm struggling quite a lot and it's scaring me

I've heard loads of stories about people who LOVED a subject at GCSE and really wanted to study it at A Level and take it as a career, but then they studied it at A Level, found it to be really hard, and gave up on it to do something else because they just couldn't do their favourite subject anymore

I don't know what to do because I'm panicking
    I'm finding brand new subjects like Politics really easy to get the hang of, but this jump in French and Spanish has really freaked me out and I'm scared that I won't be able to do it and I'll fail my A Levels in them

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic,my brothers were both told that for at least the first half term of year 12 you will wonder what on earth you have done but it does get better. I am sure you will be fine. If you go on feeling lost talk to your teacher, I am sure that you are not the only one and you are almost certainly doing better than you think. Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BEARichards)
    I started my A Levels last week and I'm doing French and Spanish (as well as Psychology and Politics)

I came out of my GCSEs with a high A* in both French and Spanish and I'm REALLY passionate about them.

But 1 and a half weeks into A Levels and I'm feeling pretty crappy
    I think the step from GCSE to A level is probably the biggest in foreign languages. Hang in there, it does get better.

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling exactly the same as you! I got A*s in French and Spanish at GCSE and I thought I wanted to study these languages at uni, but all of a sudden I'm feeling way out of my depth. My spontaneous speaking skills are the weakest in my class and it has really damaged my confidence. I'm planning on speaking to my teachers and hoping they'll give me some advice and reassurance-I think it would be good for you to do this too as I'm sure your teachers would be able to help. Best wishes, I hope everything turns out ok for the both of us! (If you do get any tips on how to perhaps improve or anything like that, would you mind sharing them with me? I'll do the same for you! Thanks x)

ReputationRep:
    'It doesn't matter how slowly you go; as long as you don't stop.'

The jump from GCSE's to A levels is undeniably a huge one, and it throws everyone back, literally. You did so well at GCSE for languages, don't let the hurdle get in the way of something you put so much effort in and came out doing amazingly in. If you truly don't like it, don't do it, but remember to focus on how well you did and how well you CAN do. Go as slow as you want, but never stop. x

Ps if it helps, in GCSE I found I was pretty good at English, I was really confident in it. I chose A level English lit and wow is it hard (I sometimes feel like I have no clue what's going on haha), but I know that I loved it at GCSE and was really good at it, so I'm so SO ready to take on this challenge for a subject I want to remain good at and still want to love, and so can you 👍 x

ReputationRep:
    Honestly it's a very common thing. You've been out of school for 3+ months so haven't been taught any language in that time, plus as said before it is a big step up to AS Level and a lot of people struggle with it.

I have started AS German myself this year.. 3 years after I got the GCSE, so you can imagine how much I've forgotten and am panicking about haha Just focus on learning vocab continuously (revising) and get into the habit of writing paragraphs outside of class. Literally even if it's just a load of random sentences that don't interlink, goddamn write them and get used to it.

And please if you're passionate, don't give it up. One of the most common regrets I hear from people is "I wish I'd continued learning French/German/Spanish/Etc. ". Keep on ploughing through!!! :]

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.