Turn on thread page Beta

Would 1 year NCB at 22 YO bring premium down? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm test ready, just waiting to take my test but after 1 year, is it affordable for the average person to afford a BMW 1 series if they passed age 21 and have 1 year NCB?

Tried to play with the insurance sites but it still came to £2500...lol

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much your spending on the car, in general I would say no though unless you are good with a spanner. You're looking at £4000-5000 for a decent example. A glance at the autotrader does show a load of examples at 2000-3000 but they all look somewhat dodgy (Cat C/high mile-ers) and unless you can do some work yourself will probably cost a bit to run.

Insurance is always a ***** for new drivers but at 21 you could probably get it for around a grand on a sensible car (Micra, Yaris, Fiesta etc etc). Buy your first car on the cheap and splash out on your next one, it will be worth it in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Depends how much your spending on the car, in general I would say no though unless you are good with a spanner. You're looking at £4000-5000 for a decent example. A glance at the autotrader does show a load of examples at 2000-3000 but they all look somewhat dodgy (Cat C/high mile-ers) and unless you can do some work yourself will probably cost a bit to run.

Insurance is always a ***** for new drivers but at 21 you could probably get it for around a grand on a sensible car (Micra, Yaris, Fiesta etc etc). Buy your first car on the cheap and splash out on your next one, it will be worth it in the long run.
    Thanks, my first car will be a Fiesta, it's just in a year or two, it'd be exciting to get something better.

I'm graduated and have a good job. I want to reward myself with something good but I'm not prepared to pay extortionate insurance prices. I hope they come down in a year or two and I can get something nicer/sportier, but we'll see. Maybe I'll just save and go from a ford to a ferrari lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenextone)
    Thanks, my first car will be a Fiesta, it's just in a year or two, it'd be exciting to get something better.

I'm graduated and have a good job. I want to reward myself with something good but I'm not prepared to pay extortionate insurance prices. I hope they come down in a year or two and I can get something nicer/sportier, but we'll see. Maybe I'll just save and go from a ford to a ferrari lol
    Well if you want a reference of prices for my car history, I live in a nice-ish area out in the sticks north of glasgow.

passed @ 17
    98 Nissan Micra 1.0 - £1600 at 18 with license for 6 months
    98 Micra again - £600 with license for 1.5 years at 19
    01 Alfa Romeo 147 1.6 - £650 at 19 with license for 2 years + 1 year NCB
    97 Lexus LS400 - £740 at 20 with 2.5 year license + 0 year NCB (had this aswell as the alfa)
    05 Skoda Fabia VRS 1.9tdi - £620 at 20 with 3 year license + 1 year NCB
    03 MG ZS 2.5 - £550 at 21 with 4 year license + 2 year NCB

So yeah as you can see it gets pretty dramaticly cheaper as you get older, I think you will find that passing at an older age will make this process even faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thenextone)

Out of curiousity how much are you looking to spend? There are a lot better sports cars out there for a hellavu lot less money than a bimmer 1 series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Out of curiousity how much are you looking to spend? There are a lot better sports cars out there for a hellavu lot less money than a bimmer 1 series.
    What sort of age of car/mileage/brand could I get for around £2-3k with insurance around £1k?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    What sort of age of car/mileage/brand could I get for around £2-3k with insurance around £1k?
    Depends what you're looking for - small hatchbacks take your pick, Vauxhall Corsa, Fiat Punto, Nissan Micra, Ford Fiesta, VW Polo or Lupo..., you'd be buying second hand so expect 70k+ miles. Sports cars, you'll probably struggle to get at around £2-3k unless they're high mileage and riddled with faults (so, Alfas), and even then the insurance will be more than around £1k unless you've been driving for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    Depends what you're looking for - small hatchbacks take your pick, Vauxhall Corsa, Fiat Punto, Nissan Micra, Ford Fiesta, VW Polo or Lupo..., you'd be buying second hand so expect 70k+ miles. Sports cars, you'll probably struggle to get at around £2-3k unless they're high mileage and riddled with faults (so, Alfas), and even then the insurance will be more than around £1k unless you've been driving for a while.
    I've seen a 44,000 mile 2003 Alfa 147, for £1.75k and insurance was £1.4k, does that seem a good deal?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    I've seen a 44,000 mile 2003 Alfa 147, for £1.75k and insurance was £1.4k, does that seem a good deal?
    On the face of it, yes, although it depends on what your insurance covers and what you've put down.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.