Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm a little bit worried about freshers week as it seems very partyish and I'm really not used to that kind of environment - very sheltered upbringing with strictly religious parents.. I know I have to get to know people so I got the KPass Silver and will force myself to go to some things but... does anyone have any comforting advice?

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same boat as you, and idk what im gona do....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I suppose there will be others in our situation so we aren't alone but its still nervewracking. At least everything is on campus so if we dont like anything we can just go back to our rooms.

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are you worried about? I'm non religious and not that sheltered but I'm nervous as well. It's only natural?

ReputationRep:
    Im not used to people drinking around me and stuff, Im not making a fuss, and people can do whatever they want, thats just what will probably unsettle me a bit, probably both of us lol
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same really. I've got no particular opinions about alcohol but I've never even seen it outside of a shop before xD And I don't fancy getting off-my-face drunk tbh. It will just be a wierd new environment though, and one worries whether they will fit in. It sounds silly really xD But as you say nerves are natural.
    Oh I'm not religious either. In fact, I'm gay which is rather anti-my parents belief system. I am out and they are accepting but still. This will be the first chance I have to live how I want. And thats quite a big thing for me :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Kent would be much of a "party uni" to be honest, it's not like the other university where its located in a big city. I don't fancy the idea of getting really drunk too, but I will go and attend some parties and clubs and see what it's like. I didn't even buy a k-pass, so it will all depends on where I can go to when it comes to it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a year off for me but I don't know what I'm going to do them either. I've heard that it's vital that you go to freshers because that's where you form the friendships you have all the way through uni and apparently it's really hard to make friends after freshers. I think I'll just get some Dutch courage and give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we can pick the Kpass up on arrivals weekend? Because the venue doesn't open till 9? So can I pick it up on the night or will it be open during the day? For some weird reason I'm stressing about this an unnecessary amount, especially considering how much I hate going out #anxietyproblems

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breenm)
    Hey, I'm a little bit worried about freshers week as it seems very partyish and I'm really not used to that kind of environment - very sheltered upbringing with strictly religious parents.. I know I have to get to know people so I got the KPass Silver and will force myself to go to some things but... does anyone have any comforting advice?
    Me being a party girl I'm absolutely stoked and ready for freshers but I can understand what you mean. Obviously go out and meet people and you might actually like the environment. It might seem like you're on your own with the way you're feeling but you'll find other people with the same mind set soon; my suggestion is go to freshers and attempt to enjoy yourself and you'll make like minded friends

ReputationRep:
    Haha,I understand totally what you mean! Though I'm not religious at all,I don't eat or drink.

Last year my flatmates were wild party animals.I thought Tyler Court A's corridor would mean no flatmates (especially because I wasn't going to use the kitchen),so I wasn't expecting to meet my flatmates on the day of my arrival.

I remember them knocking on my door to invite me to ''drinking game''.As an international student,that game shocked me totally,especially given how much of everything they were drinking.Afterwards,people from various parts of the campus came to the kitchen and all of them were drinking.Then a ping pong table was set in the corridor and they kept playing until late before heading to the club.It was all very shocking.A guy even opened my door! (I didn't know how to lock it at that time.)

I'm not trying to scare you.I'm just saying that you have to get used to them.They are generally inoffensive and if they annoy you,just go to your room.As weeks will go by,you will get used to the heavy partying of people around you.At times,they might even do funny things.The thing with Brits is that they tend to think every 18-year-old kid drinks a lot,smokes a lot and has sex a lot.They don't mean bad of course,but they can be very intimidating to internationals who're on the quiet side.

By June I remember heading to Essentials to buy something to eat late at night.Just at that time people were coming back from the club.They were all drunk,making sexual innuendos and one was even vomiting.It didn't bother me at all,because time has made me more tolerant and accepting of such behaviour.Believe me you'll see many,many things during your time on campus.As a matter of fact,because I became less anxious,I wanted to live on campus once again; now I'm in Tyler Court B.

Also,if you want to meet quiet people,you might join the volunteering society,or any society which you think ''non-wild'' people might join.

In any case,your experience during Fresher's Week can't be worse than mine!

As for making friends,I believe you befriend people mainly in class,in your flat or in societies,so Freshers Week is not a big deal - many people who came in my kitchen didn't ever come back during that year,haha!

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to say thanks to everyone that has replied, as it has made me feel better reading all of this I will swallow my pride and go to a few things, and societies don't sound too scary I guess, well, except for the first time you go xD

ReputationRep:
    Dude, Im in the same boat as you. Pray for my introverted self.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiwami2)
    Does anyone know when we can pick the Kpass up on arrivals weekend? Because the venue doesn't open till 9? So can I pick it up on the night or will it be open during the day? For some weird reason I'm stressing about this an unnecessary amount, especially considering how much I hate going out #anxietyproblems

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Last year there was a stall outside the sports hall (where you register) which gave them out which is open all day basically

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm in the same boat, definitely not a party person. Does someone want to start a facebook/skype chat or something? Would be nice to get to know some like-minded people

ReputationRep:
    You guys should check out the Are You Not Drinking Much? society, from what I've heard they have activities and stuff for people who aren't into all the parties and stuff

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat as well! And I am definitely joining the society mentioned above. They're organising games night event on 19th Saturday. Search for the society name and you'll see more events organized by them. See you there!

I'll say there's no need to be scared guys, but I know it won't help one jot You're all going to a brand new place, sort of into the unknown and (most likely) living independently for the first time in your lives. That makes everyone nervous or at least a little anxious, so you're certainly not in the same boat. As for freshers, don't overthink it, or overplan it or whatever - go with the flow, see what your housemates want to do and just go from there. You'll have way more fun going with the flow.

(Original post by amiwami2)
    Does anyone know when we can pick the Kpass up on arrivals weekend? Because the venue doesn't open till 9? So can I pick it up on the night or will it be open during the day? For some weird reason I'm stressing about this an unnecessary amount, especially considering how much I hate going out #anxietyproblems.
    You can pick it up when you register/get your student ID in the arrivals hall if I'm remembering correctly.

ReputationRep:
    oh man, I completely missed the silver kpass. does that mean no chance at all on getting hall wars tickets etc?

and in terms of the topic, there will be a looot of students on the same boat. I think going to one or two events here and there would be helpful, to make friends, build connections. And that society seems hella awesome omg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sasunerd)
    oh man, I completely missed the silver kpass. does that mean no chance at all on getting hall wars tickets etc?
    If you don't have a kpass it's fine, you just will have to pay on entry to events

University open days

1. University of Kent
    Canterbury campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.