Turn on thread page Beta

average gcse grades imperial college london for medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    can I still get into imperial medicine with 5A* and 5A and 1B (I had to miss 6 weeks of school)?
    with B in English Language and a BMAT score (around 5.9 for section 1 and 2)?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial's GCSE requirements aren't that high.

They almost solely rank on the BMAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToeHold)
    Imperial's GCSE requirements aren't that high.

They almost solely rank on the BMAT
    the majority of people applying had atleast 7A*s which is scaring me :/ and im not sure if 5.9 is good enough to be put into high priority

ReputationRep:
    it matters MUCH MORE about your as grades and predicted A2 grades than anything else

(Original post by Dorae)
    the majority of people applying had atleast 7A*s which is scaring me :/ and im not sure if 5.9 is good enough to be put into high priority
    Imperial uses a separate cut-off for each section of the BMAT, which is where a lot of people stumble because you need to meet three cut-offs and you're likely to get a pre-interview rejection even if you do really well on two of the sections and then flunk one of them.

The cut-offs change every year depending on how applicants to Imperial have done in that year but the cut-offs for sections 1 and 2 from one of the previous application cycles mentioned on Imperial's website are below 5 so I would imagine that 5.9 would be enough, at least in that application cycle. Generally, it's better not to aim for this cut-off or that cut-off but just do the best that you can.

Imperial does give some weighting to your GCSEs but it's important to note that this is considered alongside your other academics such as your AS results and A2 predictions/achieved grades. So it's perfectly possible to do really well at AS (although, if you're starting this year, your school may not be doing AS because of the reforms) and get high predictions to make up for average GCSEs.

The shortlisting for interview generally takes both academics and other aspects into account. This includes commitment to medicine, understanding what a career in medicine entails, evidence of community activities and so on. It's all available on their website:

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...cine/medicine/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman;[url="tel:59355655")
    59355655[/url]]Imperial uses a separate cut-off for each section of the BMAT, which is where a lot of people stumble because you need to meet three cut-offs and you're likely to get a pre-interview rejection even if you do really well on two of the sections and then flunk one of them.

The cut-offs change every year depending on how applicants to Imperial have done in that year but the cut-offs for sections 1 and 2 from one of the previous application cycles mentioned on Imperial's website are below 5 so I would imagine that 5.9 would be enough, at least in that application cycle. Generally, it's better not to aim for this cut-off or that cut-off but just do the best that you can.

Imperial does give some weighting to your GCSEs but it's important to note that this is considered alongside your other academics such as your AS results and A2 predictions/achieved grades. So it's perfectly possible to do really well at AS (although, if you're starting this year, your school may not be doing AS because of the reforms) and get high predictions to make up for average GCSEs.

The shortlisting for interview generally takes both academics and other aspects into account. This includes commitment to medicine, understanding what a career in medicine entails, evidence of community activities and so on. It's all available on their website:

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/c...cine/medicine/
    Thank you so much! This really helped me 😄😄

ReputationRep:
    I got the exact same grades as you (minus the B), from what I know imperial doesn't focus on GCSEs as much as Oxford, they focus more on the BMAT and your predicted or actual AS grades, their minimum requirements are very low for medicine as they do not ask for any A*s, however Imperial is one of the most competitive unis in London so expect competition to be high because of the low requirements.

(Original post by Not_a_horse)
    I got the exact same grades as you (minus the B), from what I know imperial doesn't focus on GCSEs as much as Oxford, they focus more on the BMAT and your predicted or actual AS grades, their minimum requirements are very low for medicine as they do not ask for any A*s, however Imperial is one of the most competitive unis in London so expect competition to be high because of the low requirements.
    The requirements aren't that much lower than Oxford. Oxford wants A*AA; Imperial wants AAA (AAAC if you're doing four A-levels). The A* is certainly a price most people are willing to pay for the added prestige of Oxford. Imperial is competitive because it's a great university, frequently in the top 5 behind Oxbridge, not because the requirements are low. xD If people just wanted low requirements, there are plenty of other places that do AAA.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.