Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was advised by one of my teachers to do early entry and apply to Oxbridge, I want to do Natural Science at Cambridge. My AS grades were really suprising I got all A's in Phyiscs, Maths and Chemistry and a U in law which i droppped prior to the exam however I still had to sit the exam. My maths and chemistry were really high A's and I am predicted an A* in both of them for my A2s and a solid A in my Physics. I am also doing as AS in Further Maths along with the 3 subjects which I achieved an A in. My GCSE's were not great, mostly A's and B's. As for my personal statement I do have quite a bit to write about including work experience and other related things.

I was wondering whether I would stand a chance with the above grades and what I think is a pretty good personal statement.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Everything's great but if I'm being honest (I don't want to worry you) BUT i am worried about the U in law because after being at a UCAS conference once I remember them saying that you must submit every qualification into your application otherwise the application can be invalid ( example even if you got a D in somehting at GCSE , you must include)

But to be honest, who's gonna ask , as long as your teachers don't blab.
    Well done on great grades- I would calculate your average UMS score and see if its above 90% and if it is you've got a good chance of an interview.
    Make sure you sound insightful in your personal statement- talk about lectures you-ve been to - research projects you were involved? or research scientists you've met? Talk and develop your own original ideas and opinion about what science is to you.
    Best of luck
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by matchez)
    I was advised by one of my teachers to do early entry and apply to Oxbridge, I want to do Natural Science at Cambridge. My AS grades were really suprising I got all A's in Phyiscs, Maths and Chemistry and a U in law which i droppped prior to the exam however I still had to sit the exam. My maths and chemistry were really high A's and I am predicted an A* in both of them for my A2s and a solid A in my Physics. I am also doing as AS in Further Maths along with the 3 subjects which I achieved an A in. My GCSE's were not great, mostly A's and B's. As for my personal statement I do have quite a bit to write about including work experience and other related things.

I was wondering whether I would stand a chance with the above grades and what I think is a pretty good personal statement.

Thanks
    What's your exact UMS for Maths, Physics and Chemistry? I don't think the U in Law is going to be a problem, nor your GCSE results (not a huge problem, anyway).
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    U will be ignored as its not relevant to NatSci.

But as per above, what's your UMS per subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    These are my UMS per subject:
    Physics : 261
    Maths: 275
    Chemistry: 265
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's a 89% average which is good, but I'm not sure if that's high enough for a competitive NatSci application. jneill would probably know better.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Just ask your exam officer not to cash in th U in law. Simple

ReputationRep:
    I do not think not cashing in the U would be of any assistance. The Cambridge Supplementary Applications Questionnaire requires you to list all exams you took I believe.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    That's a 89% average which is good, but I'm not sure if that's high enough for a competitive NatSci application. jneill would probably know better.
    It's a touch on the low side for NatSci but should be enough for an interview. And then who knows...

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.