Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do - girlfriend off travelling. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 My girlfriend (22) of a year is going travelling for 9 months in Australia she's leaving on the 14th of October. I'm going into my third year at university so won't be joining her. We've discussed meeting half-way through the trip in Thailand but it's still going to be really hard. Have you been in this position before? I met someone through work who said her and her boyfriend took a 'break' whilst she went travelling and they now live together and seem pretty happy. She recommended doing something similar, but I hate the idea of her being with another guy and I don't know whether I'd be able to let it go if/when I found out after her getting back. It would be great if I could hear from any of you guys who've been through similar and what you did and whether it was the right decision?

Thanks

I genuinely hope it works out. I know a few people who went travelling together and they were fine.

My relationship however ended the day I returned out of the blue. I'm a mess because of it.

ReputationRep:
    It sucks OP, but its her choice to go travelling.

At the end of the day this isnt the 1900s. You can stay in contact with each other via the internet. And Thailand is quite cheap (foriegn holiday wise) to get to. Bangkok is very cheap to stay in as well and the pound is strong against the baht.

I think its down to the two of you whether you stay together or break up. If you cant handle the break then stay together and trust each other

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you need to have a real conversation about your relationship with her, and be honest about the fact that you've been with her for a year, and that you would like to stay faithful to each other while she is travelling, and whether she wants the same thing

ReputationRep:
    shes gonna be sucking a lot of d*ck if shes travelling dude. do you wanna marry that or do you wanna leave her and do your own thing. I know what I'd do, its hard though - you gotta really think with your head and not your heart.

ReputationRep:
    Lily and Marshall stayed together. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Cheers mate, but we're not travelling together.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I genuinely hope it works out. I know a few people who went travelling together and they were fine.

My relationship however ended the day I returned out of the blue. I'm a mess because of it.

ReputationRep:
    She's really Christian It's not in her personality to be like that

(Original post by sqwertylol)
    shes gonna be sucking a lot of d*ck if shes travelling dude. do you wanna marry that or do you wanna leave her and do your own thing. I know what I'd do, its hard though - you gotta really think with your head and not your heart.

ReputationRep:
    If I had to wait 9 months for my girl through no fault of her own, I would be sad but I would do it without question, but in your case your girl is making that choice to be away from you for 9 months

Asking for a break is an insult, worse than spitting in your face, **** Kitkats, no breaks - dump her

ReputationRep:
    She allways assumed we'd keep it going since we spoke about meeting 4 months in, in Thailand. Then when we finally discussed her trip (three weeks or so ago) and what we'd do she was suprised that I'd been questioning staying together.

(Original post by sunnydespair)
    Maybe you need to have a real conversation about your relationship with her, and be honest about the fact that you've been with her for a year, and that you would like to stay faithful to each other while she is travelling, and whether she wants the same thing

ReputationRep:
    She decided she wanted to go once she graduated months and months before she met me. We talked about it all on our first date where she was going to go and why she wanted to etc (as just small talk really).

(Original post by Rad-Reloaded)
    If I had to wait 9 months for my girl through no fault of her own, I would be sad but I would do it without question, but in your case your girl is making that choice to be away from you for 9 months

Asking for a break is an insult, worse than spitting in your face, **** Kitkats, no breaks - dump her

ReputationRep:
    If you don't think it'll work then don;t do it.

LDRs are very hard and work only because both people in these successful couples are fully committed to making it so.

If you have too many doubts about yourself or her then it's better to make a clean break.

Or just give it a go anyway!

best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    hey there I've been in a similar position as your girlfriend. I went travelling for 2 months and then met up with my boyfriend to go around Australia. Although that isn't as long as your girlfriend, it was still tough. However you're in your 3rd year at uni, I'm sure you'll be able to keep really busy and give her the space that she needs! Try to occupy yourself in work and seeing friends and the time will go by really quickly. As for keeping in touch, I found that my boyfriend was actually really clingy and it just got worse when we were apart, he would constantly call me and text me and would send me messages crying when I didn't reply. It was really frustrating having to deal with that whilst I was meant to be travelling and discovering myself. So haha, take a leaf out of my book and don't follow his example, she'll be having a great time and if you give her space that she needs she'll come back and tell you all about it <3 also with regards to meeting up, maybe plan something but book it nearer the time when you know how things are between you? I defiantly regret my boyfriend booking to meet up with me in Australia as by the time I was away things weren't going well and it was already too late to cancel it. I mean I'm sure you won't have these problems, but just to save you of the trouble in case! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabmaester)
    I'm 21 My girlfriend (22) of a year is going travelling for 9 months in Australia she's leaving on the 14th of October. I'm going into my third year at university so won't be joining her. We've discussed meeting half-way through the trip in Thailand but it's still going to be really hard. Have you been in this position before? I met someone through work who said her and her boyfriend took a 'break' whilst she went travelling and they now live together and seem pretty happy. She recommended doing something similar, but I hate the idea of her being with another guy and I don't know whether I'd be able to let it go if/when I found out after her getting back. It would be great if I could hear from any of you guys who've been through similar and what you did and whether it was the right decision?

Thanks
    Just marry her problem solved

ReputationRep:
    She decided she wanted to go once she graduated months and months before she met me. We talked about it all on our first date where she was going to go and why she wanted to etc (as just small talk really).
    Your girlfriend has just asked to put your relationship on hold, so she can have sex with other guys, in a foreign country, while you are studying and then she wants you to just take her back.

Are you honestly Ok with this?

Cheers mate, but we're not travelling together.
    Neither we were. I was working initial while she travelled, I finished work and went travelling by myself, she arrived back in the UK a month before me, I arrived back and she broke up with me as soon as she saw me.

ReputationRep:
    21 and married naaa, I'm not a mug.

(Original post by Shadez)
    Just marry her problem solved

ReputationRep:
    oh sorry I didn't read the part about the break properly.. hmm well it depends if she made that decision thinking of herself ( as in if she wants to get with other guys ) or if she thought that you might? Maybe just see how it goes leading up to it?

ReputationRep:
    As I said she'd planned to go on the trip before she'd even met me. She said last week that she's not going to meet men, it's to escape small town Dorset and to see more of the world, it's fair enough.

(Original post by Rad-Reloaded)
    Your girlfriend has just asked to put your relationship on hold, so she can have sex with other guys, in a foreign country, while you are studying and then she wants you to just take her back.

Are you honestly Ok with this?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The day shes about to leave, go to the airport, sing a song and ask her not to go.

Works in the movies :dontknow:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.