Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What's AS level psychology like? Is it interesting and intriguing or mundane? How difficult is it? I heard it's a lot of memorisation, is this true?
    Finally, what's the workload like starting from around now?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions, be that some or all.

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    Well personally I found AS psychology boring and repetitive. Its pretty much all about memorising the textbook and then writing it all down in an exam question.
    But then again lots of people in my class love psychology so maybe its just me :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack_devin)
    What's AS level psychology like? Is it interesting and intriguing or mundane? How difficult is it? I heard it's a lot of memorisation, is this true?

Hi there, I'm currently studying A2 Psychology and I am applying to study it at university, so i may be a little biased haha. I love the subject and i find it really interesting because you can apply it to situations you have come across in your everyday life. I will admit it is a lot of memorisation (especially essays) and it is quite a large workload if you want to do well in it. I would suggest you're fairly good at Biology to take it as some of the content can be quite difficult, especially at A2. My school required us to have a B in biology and B in maths GCSE to take it, although i didnt think there was much maths involved at As at least, only the odd bit of graph interpretation. I would recommend taking the subject as long as it fits with what you want to do at uni, if it doesn't its a nice 4th subject to take for a year

Hope that helps, if you have any questions don't hesitate to message me

ReputationRep:
    AS is basically remembering findings, figures, procedures and experimenters of experiments for the exam (AQA A spec)
    I personally hate exams like that because it's just a silly way of assessing someone - but it was extremely interesting which made the memorising part of it not really an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack_devin)

I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult - I had a B at AS though I know I could have improved as I left it late to revise.

There is a lot of memorisation. I had to memorise the mark schemes, and had a lot of model answers to go through/memorise. Workload wasn't too bad for me either, but as said above, I should have began revising earlier, it is A LOT to remember.

Some parts are a bit 'boring', however...a lot of it is really interesting. I think A2 is more interesting than AS though, at least personally

ReputationRep:
    I'm only doing my GCSEs(year 10), but I know that Psychology is quite a difficult (and isn't looked upon fondly), especially at A-level. Personally, I suggest you go for something a little bit more hard-core. This is because A-Level Psychology is not seen as a 'facilitating' subject to Universities. Unis look more fondly on 'facilitating' subjects which include(but are not limited to) French, Spanish, Geology, History, Geography, Maths, Further Maths, English Language, English Literature, English Language & Literature Combined, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've only just started AS and I can already see that the subject is a researching type subject.

Basically, the foundation of the whole course is a topic called research methods.
    In research methods, we explore what types of research can be carried out and explore all the controlled and non-controlled variables. These usually contain strength and weaknesses around research. You'll also explore different types of hypothesise and how to define your independent variables and dependant variables.
    AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH METHODS you come to A LOT OF THEORY...
    The first topic is usually memory and contains case studies and other varies bits and bobs about memory which would be AO1. AO2 is evaluating e.g. give strengths and weaknesses of and AO3 is application of knowledge which usually consists of research methods.

In summary, psychology is more based on how to preform different psychological experiments and how different case studies have preformed and given different results. (PS there is a TON of content)

I'm finding psychology harder than all my other a levels which contain some of the hardest: chemistry, biology and statistics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by map786)
    I'm only doing my GCSEs(year 10), but I know that Psychology is quite a difficult (and isn't looked upon fondly), especially at A-level. Personally, I suggest you go for something a little bit more hard-core. This is because A-Level Psychology is not seen as a 'facilitating' subject to Universities. Unis look more fondly on 'facilitating' subjects which include(but are not limited to) French, Spanish, Geology, History, Geography, Maths, Further Maths, English Language, English Literature, English Language & Literature Combined, etc.
    Psychology is actually a good A level to study if considering getting a science degree, (similar to other social sciences) because if you do two 'hard sciences' but don't meet the grade requirement for one and as long as your a levels meet a particular standard then psychology can be replaced by that 'hard science'.

Overall, psychology is actually looked highly on but just not as much as a science or maths. Realistically, psychology is too underrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAuthor)
    Psychology is actually a good A level to study if considering getting a science degree, (similar to other social sciences) because if you do two 'hard sciences' but don't meet the grade requirement for one and as long as your a levels meet a particular standard then psychology can be replaced by that 'hard science'.

Overall, psychology is actually looked highly on but just not as much as a science or maths. Realistically, psychology is too underrated.
    I agree! I think its a good subject to take if you enjoy science based subjects but you aren't suited to the typical 3 sciences. I know i would have found biology/chemistry/physics far to difficult but i still enjoy science
    Facilitating subjects aren't the be all or end all, i think you should take subjects you enjoy because you'll end up doing far better at them than you could at subjects you took purely because they look good to some unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingAuthor)

Yes 'KingAuthor' I agree with your point, now that I've come to think about it.
    Quite rightly said.

Anyway, what would I know about A-level I'm only in Year 10 lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliciakt97)
    I agree! I think its a good subject to take if you enjoy science based subjects but you aren't suited to the typical 3 sciences. I know i would have found biology/chemistry/physics far to difficult but i still enjoy science
    Facilitating subjects aren't the be all or end all, i think you should take subjects you enjoy because you'll end up doing far better at them than you could at subjects you took purely because they look good to some unis
    I'm interesting in the mind, that's why I took psychology. However, I wasn't fully aware that the main focus of it was how to conduct research. They should change the subject name to 'Research Methods with Psychology' because they could literally just put a different course in there easily and call it 'Research Methods with Biology'.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.