Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been accepted to do history at University but I am thinking I want to switch to economics.

Due to personal Issues, my Gcse's were average, only gaining a B at GCSE Maths and with little direction or any idea of career and indeed enjoyment in academia, AS did not go to well either. Only after a set of dissapointing results at AS did i kick myself into gear managing to salvage BBB. In doing so I developed an interest in Economics,buying and reading books. I already knew I wouldnt go to Uni for the year so instead of taking Maths at A-level as i intended, I retook some modules to get AAA in History Geography and Politics, done inedependently. My question is, if I wanted to switch to economics, should I go to uni this year and somehow sit some Maths modules independently during the year or are their other options that I should consider.

While I enjoy History, the thought of studying it for 3 years, reading copious amounts of books to study a subject with no real vocation seems counter-intuitive if I know what I want to do

I appreciate this is somewhat unorthodox but would greatly appreciate some advice
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by alex0110)
    I've recently been accepted to do history at University but I am thinking I want to switch to economics.

Due to personal Issues, my Gcse's were average, only gaining a B at GCSE Maths and with little direction or any idea of career and indeed enjoyment in academia, AS did not go to well either. Only after a set of dissapointing results at AS did i kick myself into gear managing to salvage BBB. In doing so I developed an interest in Economics,buying and reading books. I already knew I wouldnt go to Uni for the year so instead of taking Maths at A-level as i intended, I retook some modules to get AAA in History Geography and Politics, done inedependently. My question is, if I wanted to switch to economics, should I go to uni this year and somehow sit some Maths modules independently during the year or are their other options that I should consider.

While I enjoy History, the thought of studying it for 3 years, reading copious amounts of books to study a subject with no real vocation seems counter-intuitive if I know what I want to do

I appreciate this is somewhat unorthodox but would greatly appreciate some advice
    I would speak to the university itself and ask what their procedure for transfers is, at least you ll know where you stand then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I would speak to the university itself and ask what their procedure for transfers is, at least you ll know where you stand then.
    Would they look down on me, for example, this student clearly doesnt have the aptitude to study his chosen subject, therfore we will revoke his offer?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by alex0110)
    Would they look down on me, for example, this student clearly doesnt have the aptitude to study his chosen subject, therfore we will revoke his offer?
    Once your place is confirmed at the university they arent really able to revoke your offer at this point in most circumstances so i wouldnt worry about that kind of thing.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.