Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoy English at school, and the philosophy I did as part of my religious studies AS-level was really intriguing. Despite my school's UCAS deadline looming ever closing, I still cannot decide whether to study English/Philosophy or straight English. My school has encouraged me to apply to Oxbridge, yet I'm not sure because then I'd be committing to straight English and I'm not sure if that's what I want. Then again, I can always try to tailor my course at uni to be quite a philosophy-based English degree (university depending).

However, I got a D in Religious Studies AS-Level (I've dropped it since), and I'm wondering how much this will count against me, considering half the course focused on philosophy.

I'm predicted 3A*s (Maths, Further Maths, and English) and an A (German) at A2.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to have one personal statement that is tailored to both English and English/Philo

ReputationRep:
    well, I was considering the same before I chose my course. For Oxbridge the D in a relevant subject will count against you but for oxford you don't have to declare your grades. With those predicted grades you should apply for sure Focus on the english side but emphasise the philosophical aspect of your interest

ReputationRep:
    Well for oxbridge I'd apply just for english so the D will mean less. Plus Oxford have their own entry tests for english I think, so they'll put a greater emphasis on that than grades.

And I'm pretty sure you have to declare you grades to all unis on UCAS don't you? Correct me if I'm wrong

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you need to assess what went wrong for you in your philosophy modules, before you end up doing a degree that's weighted towards philosophy. I think philosophy is obviously very subjective, so a bad mark doesn't always correspond to a lack of understanding

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2015

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.