The Student Room Group

International Students

Hi,

I have a cousin who's possibly coming to study in the UK. However, his mum wants him to study a year of English to improve his fluency and then study 2 years of A levels or BTEC. Is this possible for him? I would really appreciate it if anyone could get back to me as soon as possible. Thanks
Original post by A_Hoang1997
Hi,

I have a cousin who's possibly coming to study in the UK. However, his mum wants him to study a year of English to improve his fluency and then study 2 years of A levels or BTEC. Is this possible for him? I would really appreciate it if anyone could get back to me as soon as possible. Thanks

Depending on where you cousin is coming from, he may need to achieve a certain level in an English exam, known as an IELTS before being able to study UK qualifications - if he isn't fluent in English he will struggle.

It is also worth speaking to the College where he plans to study, as many of them have fees for international students who have been in the UK less than 3 years, as an example an English course would be around £5k!

Your cousin would also have to ensure that he had the right visa for studying in the UK and that it would be for a long enough period of time to allow him to complete the qualification.

There are a number of other things such as registering with the local police that your cousin would need to do as an International student, your local College's International team should be able to help you with the finer details.

I hope that help

Matthew - LearnOnline
Reply 2
Original post by LearnOnline
Depending on where you cousin is coming from, he may need to achieve a certain level in an English exam, known as an IELTS before being able to study UK qualifications - if he isn't fluent in English he will struggle.

It is also worth speaking to the College where he plans to study, as many of them have fees for international students who have been in the UK less than 3 years, as an example an English course would be around £5k!

Your cousin would also have to ensure that he had the right visa for studying in the UK and that it would be for a long enough period of time to allow him to complete the qualification.

There are a number of other things such as registering with the local police that your cousin would need to do as an International student, your local College's International team should be able to help you with the finer details.

I hope that help

Matthew - LearnOnline

It helps a lot. One question is why would he have to register with the local police?
Original post by A_Hoang1997
It helps a lot. One question is why would he have to register with the local police?

I think it is because as an International student on a visa placement in the UK rather than on holiday, the police need to know who is in the local area. All of the International Students at our college register, doesn't take very long at all!

Matthew

Quick Reply

Latest