The Student Room Group

I can't stand my chemistry teacher?

So throughout GCSE I really enjoyed chemistry and had a great teacher and as a result got a very high grade. However for a level I now have two teachers; one who is ok, been teaching for years and knows his stuff. The other is a complete patronising tool. He's against the class rather than working with us, and had a go at me today for talking to my friend about work when he had asked us to discuss our answers. I can tell that chemistry is now going to be painful and may even jepadise my grade. How do I stop this from affecting me ?
Be an independent student as you should be.
What you do is you realise that 'my teacher was a dick' does not pass as a valid excuse for poor grades. Put your independent revision hat on!
You seem a bit childish.
I absolutely loathe my ICT teacher even though my future degree comes hand in hand with the subject :lol:

What I did last year, and will continue to do this year is work for myself, and not for the teacher. My teacher always used to make me feel like crap about my "attitude in class" (I'm actually the least disruptive in comparison to the rowdy others. just lol) and always used to put me down about my work so I just took the notes in the lesson and only really focused on understanding the content when at home. I got an A in my AS level by the way, which wouldn't have happened if I carried on listening to my teacher who predicted me a C :u:

Perhaps speak to your head of year if this persists. But in the meantime, just ignore their unprofessional behaviour and get on with your work :yep:
Original post by espicton98
So throughout GCSE I really enjoyed chemistry and had a great teacher and as a result got a very high grade. However for a level I now have two teachers; one who is ok, been teaching for years and knows his stuff. The other is a complete patronising tool. He's against the class rather than working with us, and had a go at me today for talking to my friend about work when he had asked us to discuss our answers. I can tell that chemistry is now going to be painful and may even jepadise my grade. How do I stop this from affecting me ?

My chemistry teacher was the same and also was always spouting out propaganda wacko about how kids in the US, Japan, Australia, Switzerland and China etc are much better than we are and have much better prospects for their futures after school than we do!!!! :unimpressed: :banghead: :mad: :frown: :rolleyes: :sadnod:
I completely understand. My Y11 chem teacher was a great inspiration, but in Y12, not so much.
When I did AS Chem, I caught up on what I didn't know in my own time, and I spoke to my friends about it when I needed to. Because of my teachers, I was less informed of tests and stuff, but I kept grinding on the course details, and organised my revision timetable months in advance of official exams. The knowledge and critical thinking was still there; if you have that, you should do well. And if it's an unsatisfactory grade, you probably did do well regarding the circumstances.
Reply 7
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
I completely understand. My Y11 chem teacher was a great inspiration, but in Y12, not so much.
When I did AS Chem, I caught up on what I didn't know in my own time, and I spoke to my friends about it when I needed to. Because of my teachers, I was less informed of tests and stuff, but I kept grinding on the course details, and organised my revision timetable months in advance of official exams. The knowledge and critical thinking was still there; if you have that, you should do well. And if it's an unsatisfactory grade, you probably did do well regarding the circumstances.

I am quite an independent learner anyway, I suppose I will just have to put a lot more effort into chem compared to my other subjects, thankyou
Reply 8
Original post by pinkteddyx64
My chemistry teacher was the same and also was always spouting out propaganda wacko about how kids in the US, Japan, Australia, Switzerland and China etc are much better than we are and have much better prospects for their futures after school than we do!!!! :unimpressed: :banghead: :mad: :frown: :rolleyes: :sadnod:

Literally on the first lesson he was moaning at us ! In my other lessons I am treated as an adult and wow he sounds a bit crazy maybe he should just go and teach in those counties instead :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by HenryKenry
You seem a bit childish.

Childish because I don't like my teacher ? Sorry I think you've confused dislike with immaturity.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I absolutely loathe my ICT teacher even though my future degree comes hand in hand with the subject :lol:

What I did last year, and will continue to do this year is work for myself, and not for the teacher. My teacher always used to make me feel like crap about my "attitude in class" (I'm actually the least disruptive in comparison to the rowdy others. just lol) and always used to put me down about my work so I just took the notes in the lesson and only really focused on understanding the content when at home. I got an A in my AS level by the way, which wouldn't have happened if I carried on listening to my teacher who predicted me a C :u:

Perhaps speak to your head of year if this persists. But in the meantime, just ignore their unprofessional behaviour and get on with your work :yep:

Thankyou ! It's just a shame I can't enjoy it as a subject and be able to learn In the class room but ah well :colondollar:
Reply 11
at a level one of my chemistry teachers was excellent, the other didn't even know the chemistry he was teaching us (taught us an entire topic not on the syllabus, asked us a question and someone gave a wrong answer as a guess, he said it was right and i corrected him, he played it off that he was testing us but it was obvious he had no clue, whenever we asked him questions he had to look up the mark scheme for the answer, etc) we hated him, but we all got by because we went to see the good teacher for help on the bad teacher's topics. i'm going to uni to study chemistry and another girl from my group got accepted to medicine!! so please know that no matter how bad your teacher is, you can still push through and get the grades, just do loads of past papers and ask any chemistry teacher if you need help, i'm sure they'll be more than willing to sit down and explain things!! good luck!!
Original post by espicton98
Childish because I don't like my teacher ? Sorry I think you've confused dislike with immaturity.

There is no way in your argument where you have said he is a bad teacher, just give him a chance. Plus GCSE is so different to A-levels, teachers expect you to be independent.
Original post by HenryKenry
There is no way in your argument where you have said he is a bad teacher, just give him a chance. Plus GCSE is so different to A-levels, teachers expect you to be independent.

The word tool was used to suggest he is useless and bad, I will give him a chance but just not an ideal scenario

Quick Reply