The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i thought it was a hard paper...did anyone else not use integration by parts at all?!
jazzyj
i thought it was a hard paper...did anyone else not use integration by parts at all?!

me! lol
Fucking hell that was hard - especially after the P1 exam.
P1 was easy, but P3 .

Could not do the first question. I tried, so I must have got a method mark at least.
I cant believe this, but I actually found that factorising question hard, the one where f(x) was in brackets. I couldnt find the values that would make it equal to zero. What were they?
I thought parts a),b) and c) of vectors was ok. It was d) I couldnt get, how do you do that?
Also I couldnt get the radius of the circle, and now looking at the answers Im laughing cos that was easy. :redface:
Prove this - (d/dx (ln(cosecx+cotx)=-cosecx) No way I couldnt do that.

I nearly cried at the end, oh well I guess I cant get a B now. :frown: :frown:
Jonnymc4
How did everybody find the P3 exam today? I got a bit stuck on the first question and the last part on question 8, (d). I think I pretty much got the rest right. Oh, and the P1 exam was the easiest exam I've ever done!

Yeah me too, I think P1 is the easiest exam Ive ever done.
Reply 5
did any1 here do OCR P3?

omg it was awful!!!! if i get 50% im lucky :frown: every1 came out the exam in shock cz the whole paper was so random! like no other past paper. even the maths geniuses found it really hard and were close to tears..

no binomial expansion
no integration by sub
no integration by recognition
some really weird partial fractions question
the most random vectors question EVER
the diff equations thing was not right
and the last question i just answered the first part worth 2 marks ha!

and i worked SO hard for it!!! :frown::frown::frown: my friends had done like all the delphis papers, all the past papers etc etc.. and they came out the exam saying it wasnt like anything else theyd ever done. awful :frown:

im consoling myself with the fact that if i got 45% in this, if i get 85% in S2 and 3, i cud still pull off an A...

oh bugger im so worried.
Reply 6
BlueAngel
P1 was easy, but P3 .

Prove this - (d/dx (ln(cosecx+cotx)=-cosecx) No way I couldnt do that.

:frown:

the derivatives of cosecx and cotx...
cosecx derivative = -cosecxcotx and derivative of cotx is -cosec^2x

using the chain rule you get (-cosecxcotx-cosec^2x)/(cosecx+cotx)
factorise to give (-cosecx)(cosecx+cotx)/(cosecx+cotx) then cancel to give -cosecx as the derivative
I thought I did well in both P3 and P1. I will be pissed off if I don't get 100 ums in P1 and an A in P3. Yes, P3 was hard but not impossible.

MB
Reply 8
For some reason I did not find that paper absolutely hard, it thought it was going to be impossible, but it was not. The first question was one of the dodgiest questions. I couldn't do it so i used the identity in the formulae book as i couldn't do it as it would take too long for 3 marks.

The identity in the book is
f(x) = cosec(x)
when 'derived' is -ln|cosec(x) + cot(x)| = ln|tan(x/2)|

which answers it but i don't know how you would go about proving it, plus, i never knew of that identity and was not expecting something like that.

The circle one was alright and the substitution one was cool as i did it but was really crap at doing it in class.

I think i might have messed up slightly on the parametric one.

Most of the marks lost were due to the 1 mark questions, like that one for the oil thing, about why A kan't be greater than 4.

Also i messed up bad on the last part of the vectors.

Apart from that, i think is shoul get at least a C, although am hoping for an A overall.
Reply 9
mangomaz
did any1 here do OCR P3?

omg it was awful!!!! if i get 50% im lucky :frown: every1 came out the exam in shock cz the whole paper was so random! like no other past paper. even the maths geniuses found it really hard and were close to tears..

no binomial expansion
no integration by sub

and i worked SO hard for it!!! :frown::frown::frown: my friends had done like all the delphis papers, all the past papers etc etc.. and they came out the exam saying it wasnt like anything else theyd ever done. awful :frown:

im consoling myself with the fact that if i got 45% in this, if i get 85% in S2 and 3, i cud still pull off an A...

oh bugger im so worried.

god yea the OCR P3 was soooo random and impossible. Im pissed off because I revised and knew the theory so well and revising more wouldnt have helped. It was the fact that the questions were worded so wierdly! Had no idea what they were asking so had to leave sooooo many blank!

by the way, i didnt get the CSFB work experience either :frown: you going to the day workshop thing?
Reply 10
musicboy
I thought I did well in both P3 and P1. I will be pissed off if I don't get 100 ums in P1 and an A in P3. Yes, P3 was hard but not impossible.

MB

ditto
Reply 11
emma_
god yea the OCR P3 was soooo random and impossible. Im pissed off because I revised and knew the theory so well and revising more wouldnt have helped. It was the fact that the questions were worded so wierdly! Had no idea what they were asking so had to leave sooooo many blank!

by the way, i didnt get the CSFB work experience either :frown: you going to the day workshop thing?

i no exactly how u feel!!!! i cud hav revised 100 more hours and it still wouldnt have helped cz the questions were so BLIMMIN RANDOM!!!!!!!! :frown::frown:

oh poop sorry about the CSFB :frown: we can b rejects together!! lol. yup will b going to the day workshop thing. wow ill b able to put faces to UKL names! well 1 or 2 of them anwyay...lol..

hoepfully theyll lower the grade boundaries for P3 by loads... im reading every1 say how edexcel p3 was really not too bad and im getting a bit jealous.. :P
mangomaz
did any1 here do OCR P3?

no binomial expansion
no integration by sub

oh bugger im so worried.

I'm totally with you on this one. That was impossible, the question 6 i half struggled through, not really getting much. Then 7 and 8 i mean wtf?!?!?! it was insane. I'm trying to get a B/A so i can get to loughborough. I have an RAF scholarship, and basically if i don't get to uni, i lose my scholarship, a potential £12 grand, and a job in the RAF at the end of it. I'm seriously NOT liking thinks. Thanks OCR, you've made my day :/ :mad:

: edit : Oh yeh and i'm also the same as you on the fact that this was the exam i have been best prepared for out of all my exams so far.
Reply 13
I know!!! :frown:
Reply 14
Hi!
i thought that the P3 Edexcel Paper was great....hoping for above 90%...
the only thing that i got totally stuck with was question 8(d) and question 7(c)...well...i don't care...its over now...but its S3 on friday...which is a total nightmare...AHHHHHHHHHH!
Reply 15
yeah i thought the p3 edexcel paper was a bit of a letdown... it was surprisingly short (even though i didnt finish 8d in 30mins)... Still a relatively easy paper
Reply 16
I thought that P3 was a hardish paper but I could do it all (I got an answer out to 8d so hoping it's right!) so I'm quite confident. I think it's one of those papers that is sort of "horribly nice", ie. if you didnt panic at first question then although the questions were quite taxing they were do-able, whereas if you panicked then you got stuck on other bits.

However, I did think it was quite a long paper (lots of long questions) and I didnt get time to check it at end, which is unusual for me as usually I finish papers ridiculously early!

Overall, I'd like to think I got a comfortable A and now providing P2 and M2 go well - OXFORD HERE I COME!!!!
Reply 17
BlueAngel
P1 was easy, but P3 .
I nearly cried at the end, oh well I guess I cant get a B now. :frown: :frown:

i also found the paper hediously hard and also nearly cried at the end considering i've been gettin mid to high B's in all my practice papers, today's P3 really shook me up! just out of interest why can't u get a B now, what did u get last year and what maths exams do u have left?
Reply 18
i bet its all the double mathematicians who found todays paper 'great'? correct me if i'm wrong?
Reply 19
SAM*
i bet its all the double mathematicians who found todays paper 'great'? correct me if i'm wrong?

yep :biggrin: (me atleast)

Latest