Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan)
    Probably the hardest P3 paper I've seen, but I found it all doable. I answered all the questions (yes I am a further mather) and I'm pretty confident that my answers were right.

The only thing thats niggling at me is the question where you had to factorise completely, I factorised the brackets but did nothing with the +3 outside and afterwards I had the idea that maybe you were supposed to first expand the brackets and then factorise the whole thing, but I'm not sure eitherway, how'd you do it?
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's exactly the same thing that i did!!!!!!!!! I'm sooooo pissed off with myself about that!!!! The only other things i know i did wrong was whether or not hte binomial expansion was valid....and on the last part of question 8..i got the method right...but for some reason..i used 98 instead of rt98!!!!

Otherwise..i agree with you..it was the hardest paper i've seen from the past few years...but i should've done better!!

G

ReputationRep:
    I did the binomial expansion to the x^3 term, didn't read the question fully :rolleyes: do you reckon i'll lose a mark for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    I cant believe this, but I actually found that factorising question hard, the one where f(x) was in brackets. I couldnt find the values that would make it equal to zero. What were they?
    i got (x + 2) to be a factor. The first question and the substitution one were both evil, as was the last part of 8, the rest were ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoidberg)
    I did the binomial expansion to the x^3 term, didn't read the question fully :rolleyes: do you reckon i'll lose a mark for this?
    nah, if you do that's really harsh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    yeah, i think you had to include the 3, i.e. by exapnding the whole thing fully. by doing that, the 3 actually cancelled, and you were left with no constant, i.e. just ax^3 + bx^2 + cx. from there, it was the usual putting in numbers to find the factor....my final answer was x(x-2)(2x+1), someone else seemed to agree with my answer, so i'm hoping it was right
    were you reffering to me or what?
    cause YES i do agree the answer is x(x-2)(2x+1)
    yipeee

btw,was the expansion valid?
    i said it was valid since it was located between the two limits where it touches infinity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalaysianDude)
    were you reffering to me or what?
    cause YES i do agree the answer is x(x-2)(2x+1)
    yipeee

btw,was the expansion valid?
    i said it was valid since it was located between the two limits where it touches infinity
    i wasn't directing it to you: http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....&postcount=334

the expression wasn't valid, because if you put x=0.5 into the 1+3x expansion, then it will not converge to 0....but i didn't get that either, and it's only a couple of marks lost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgan)
    Probably the hardest P3 paper I've seen, but I found it all doable. I answered all the questions (yes I am a further mather) and I'm pretty confident that my answers were right.

The only thing thats niggling at me is the question where you had to factorise completely, I factorised the brackets but did nothing with the +3 outside and afterwards I had the idea that maybe you were supposed to first expand the brackets and then factorise the whole thing, but I'm not sure eitherway, how'd you do it?

hello!
    could you do 8d?...if so, please tell me what the hell it was all about!!! thatz the only 4 marks i lost...*crap* so i wouldn't me able to pull of my P1 100%...hehe! (i know i am arrogant!)
    p.s. since you are a further mather...do you do P6...

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel P3 - looked at question one, thought "hmm, that's stupid, but it should be ok", tried it, messed it up and wasted valuable time on it and decided to come back to it...

...came back to it, time up, didn't do it...

...got home and had a go - it was EASY. Nevermind, it was only 3 marks (I think).

And 8d was carp (not a spelling error).

The exams I'm most worried about are P4 and P5 (aargh, P4 is the last exam at my college, and it's just me in there by myself ).

At least I'm not doing P6

ReputationRep:
    u prove it by gettin 1/(cosecx+cotx) multiplied by (-cosex)(cosex + cotx) after diferentiaitin wot the (cosecx + cotx) woz n so d brackets cancel.dat woz a wel hard q.8d) woz impos.does ne 1 no d ans?culdnt do d substitution q...8marks?!were they havin a laugh?o wel...ova now!!gud luk all!!
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    ****ing hell that was hard - especially after the P1 exam.
    P1 was easy, but P3 .

Could not do the first question. I tried, so I must have got a method mark at least.
    I cant believe this, but I actually found that factorising question hard, the one where f(x) was in brackets. I couldnt find the values that would make it equal to zero. What were they?
    I thought parts a),b) and c) of vectors was ok. It was d) I couldnt get, how do you do that?
    Also I couldnt get the radius of the circle, and now looking at the answers Im laughing cos that was easy.
    Prove this - (d/dx (ln(cosecx+cotx)=-cosecx) No way I couldnt do that.

I nearly cried at the end, oh well I guess I cant get a B now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    i wasn't directing it to you: http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....&postcount=334

the expression wasn't valid, because if you put x=0.5 into the 1+3x expansion, then it will not converge to 0....but i didn't get that either, and it's only a couple of marks lost
    I agree, I said it wasn't valid as modulus of lxl<1/3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nodabooper)
    hello!
    could you do 8d?...if so, please tell me what the hell it was all about!!! thatz the only 4 marks i lost...*crap* so i wouldn't me able to pull of my P1 100%...hehe! (i know i am arrogant!)
    p.s. since you are a further mather...do you do P6...
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t46782-20.html

got a post on how to do 8d

YAY, based one my solution to (8d), I was along the right lines in the exam!!! I got as far as a quadratic in 98x^2 or something like that so hopefully I will have got one of the four marks for that question.

*Is aware how sad he is*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    YAY, based one my solution to (8d), I was along the right lines in the exam!!! I got as far as a quadratic in 98x^2 or something like that so hopefully I will have got one of the four marks for that question.

*Is aware how sad he is*
    I GOT 98X^2 TOO!!! YAY!!! <jumps round room>. Then I discovered tht the whole quadratic was divisible by 98 to give something like (x-1)(x-5) possibly? I can't remember it tht clearly damn it!

ReputationRep:
    It was definitely harder than all of the past papers I have tried. When I first saw the first question, I was gazzumped but then I tried using the chain rule by making t=whatever was in the ln bracket and using the formula book. Questions 1-4 were easy although I dunno how the hell I managed to mess up on the completely factorise part. Maybe I forgot to treat the remainder properly or I messed up somewhere in my long division. I also didn't do the integration question involving tant+t and the very last vectors question. I would be so happy to get a C on this paper.

(Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I GOT 98X^2 TOO!!! YAY!!! <jumps round room>. Then I discovered tht the whole quadratic was divisible by 98 to give something like (x-1)(x-5) possibly? I can't remember it tht clearly damn it!
    I tried to divide by many things but I didnt think to divide by 98 *slaps haed*. How many marks do you think I get for getting to that stage (at least 1 surely)?!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    perhaps it might be slightly easier for people to post which board exam they did. It's a bit difficult to understand how people found our paper easy (OCR), so if people can clarify which board they did.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.