I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed.
- For the love of god do not write every single word on a powerpoint or copy word for word from a textbook. Write everything you absolutely fundamentally need, so in the sentence: "functionalists would argue that society should strive towards a value consenus" just write "functionalists want society => value consensus" tada.
- Write as quick as you can as long as it's still legible. No-one cares how pretty handwriting is.
- Is the teacher talking whilst you're making notes? LIsten to what they're saying and add them into your notes, they're there for a reason.
- If you prefer neater notes then rewrite them on a computer or in neater handwriting, though I have never found this necessary.
- For quite a few essay-based subjects you'll need to provide examples; this is the time for you to research some modern examples to stick next to your notes (only if they are 100% necessary).
- Keep them organised Don't have pieces of paper everywhere it will be the bane of your life.