The Student Room Group

Any point in applying to Oxford?

My college's internal deadline for UCAS applications is tomorrow and I still haven't finalised my 5 choices - mainly because I'm pretty certain I won't get into Oxford. Can anyone tell me if you think I have any small chance of getting in? Please no snarky comments about my bad grades, I know they're bad!

I'm applying for Law, and Oxford's entry requirement is AAA.
I got AABB at AS, and I'm predicted either A*AA or AAA for A2.
However, my UMS points are pretty low, and the three subjects I kept average out as 82.5% (bad, I know). My GCSEs are also very far below Oxford standard - I got 4 A*s, 5 As and 1 B, however I came from a very low achieving secondary school, which I think they will take into consideration.
My personal statement seems pretty solid and I've done very well on the practice LNATs I've done, too.

Basically, would it be a waste of time applying to Oxford? I don't want to waste a space on my application, but I think I'd regret it if I didn't at least try, as I've always wanted to go to Oxford for as long as I can remember. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by chloetraynor
My college's internal deadline for UCAS applications is tomorrow and I still haven't finalised my 5 choices - mainly because I'm pretty certain I won't get into Oxford. Can anyone tell me if you think I have any small chance of getting in? Please no snarky comments about my bad grades, I know they're bad!

I'm applying for Law, and Oxford's entry requirement is AAA.
I got AABB at AS, and I'm predicted either A*AA or AAA for A2.
However, my UMS points are pretty low, and the three subjects I kept average out as 82.5% (bad, I know). My GCSEs are also very far below Oxford standard - I got 4 A*s, 5 As and 1 B, however I came from a very low achieving secondary school, which I think they will take into consideration.
My personal statement seems pretty solid and I've done very well on the practice LNATs I've done, too.

Basically, would it be a waste of time applying to Oxford? I don't want to waste a space on my application, but I think I'd regret it if I didn't at least try, as I've always wanted to go to Oxford for as long as I can remember. Thanks

If the grades you achieved are quite high compared to your school then you should apply. They take into account your predicted grades and if you're predicted A*AA or even AAA then that meets the requirement. Don't worry about the LNATs now but make sure your personal statement is solid and shows that you'll flourish at Oxford.

If you apply you know you've tried even if you don't get in and if you don't then it'll always be something you could've done but didn't and you might even kick yourself for it. I think you should go for it.

If it makes you feel any better I've got far less IGCSE subjects and less number of A*s and As than you however I'm applying to oxbridge next year. Also just wherever you apply don't apply to Magdalen I'd say - I emailed a couple of different colleges and administrations officers and they all seemed quite encouraging except Magdalen which could be stupid of me to say considering maybe it was just the one person but still.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Original post by hilrho
If the grades you achieved are quite high compared to your school then you should apply. They take into account your predicted grades and if you're predicted A*AA or even AAA then that meets the requirement. Don't worry about the LNATs now but make sure your personal statement is solid and shows that you'll flourish at Oxford.

If you apply you know you've tried even if you don't get in and if you don't then it'll always be something you could've done but didn't and you might even kick yourself for it. I think you should go for it.

If it makes you feel any better I've got far less IGCSE subjects and less number of A*s and As than you however I'm applying to oxbridge next year. Also just wherever you apply don't apply to Magdalen I'd say - I emailed a couple of different colleges and administrations officers and they all seemed quite encouraging except Magdalen which could be stupid of me to say considering maybe it was just the one person but still.

Hope this helps somewhat.

This is very reassuring actually, thank you! Also, thanks for the tip about Magdalen, I was considering it but I think I'll go for Brasenose or Christ Church now
Reply 3
Original post by chloetraynor
This is very reassuring actually, thank you! Also, thanks for the tip about Magdalen, I was considering it but I think I'll go for Brasenose or Christ Church now

Glad I was able to help :h:

And about Christ Church the accommodation doesn't have kitchens and Brasenose so far everything I've heard of it is really nice.

Best wishes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending