The Student Room Group

Future options

Hi everyone, I am currently an apprentice studying an NVQ level 4 and an FdSc in mechanical engineering. Now this may seem a bit premature (as I have 2 years left) but I was starting to look at future options in terms of 'topping up' to a full degree. So I got a few questions to ask if anyone knows of the answers that would be great.Can you go from an FdSc to a BEng? And will I be able to do this at any uni? What would be the options of doing my last year aboard? Like could I move to America to do my last year.Can I become chartered from an FdSc?Finally how recognised is an FdSc in other country's?if I decided to carry on workingThanks in advance for any answers !
Hi,

I'm sure your college (uni?) would be able to advise, but in my experience at Staffordshire University there were a number of options a few years ago. I didn't need to do an FdSc first, but wanted to practical experience so accepted that offer instead of BEng.

I don't regret it at all, and most of my classmates topped up with an extra year to BSc, myself and two others did two extra for a BEng. I then did my MSc at Staffs and am now 18 months into a PhD at Leeds...didn't want to be a career student but I kept getting decent results so carried on!

I know Leeds has a number of options open to their students with overseas partner institutions for a year abroad studying. If you can afford it and get the opportunity to do it comfortably it's one I'd definitely take. As long as your BEng is accredited (e.g. by IET, IMechE) you should have no trouble working towards chartered status in the future. I'm not sure FdSc is really recognised in the UK let alone overseas, I don't know of anyone who left after the Foundation course who is doing anything that they couldn't have done without it!

Probably raised more questions than I've answered, but I hope you find a way to realise your amibitions, best of luck!
Aaron.
Reply 2
Yeh I'm waiting for my course to start again at the end of September before I get the opportunity.

The only reason I'm not sure about doing my BSc with the company I am with is that it means I will have to stay with the company another 6-8 years. If it's gunna take me that long I might as well bite the bullet and take a year away from work and do it my self. Do you know if my level 4 and FdSc will let me go to any uni to do my last year?
I don't blame you! Sounds like they're making you start over and study part-time, which is likely unnecessary and a waste of everybody's time.

Apparently FdSc sits at Level 5 (so would supersede NVQ) and counts as 240 CATS points, which would mean you need only 120 (typically one year study) to meet the requirements for Level 6 (Bachelors Degree). As long as you have proof of your qualification, and there's space on a course for you, I don't seen any issues. The university would likely seek Recognition of Prior Learning and register you for final year top-up as long as the work covered in your FdSc matches that studied in Yr 1/2 of their undergrad programme. (Or, we could be horrendously cynical and say they won't care too much as long as they get their money).

Anyway, here's some officious looking waffle:

https://www.gov.uk/what-different-qualification-levels-mean/compare-different-qualification-levels
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/your_foundation_degree.htm
Reply 4
Cheers I'll do some reading when I get home!

It's not that I have to start again but to do the top up year part time would take 3/4 years then they would want me working for 3/4 years to pay it off.

But hopefully I will have enough points for a uni to recognise me to do a top up year else where!

Cheers for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending