Turn on thread page Beta

Driving scooters (50cc) in UK with EU license watch

    • Thread Starter


    I'm 17 years old and I'm from Latvia.
    I have a Latvian (EU) license to drive scooters (Category: AM)(up to 50cc).

    I'm planning to purchase a 50cc scooter for daily commute here in Edinburgh.

    How much would it cost me yearly to maintain the scooter?
    Can I drive here with the license I have?
    Any other tips?

    • TSR Group Staff

    TSR Group Staff
    Maintenance will probably cost about the same as it does for you now. But in addition to keeping the bike in good shape you'll need to pay VED tax (pittance, about £17/year for a moped) and your bike must pass an annual MOT, this is typically around £30, assuming it doesn't need anything fixed to pass.

    You can drive on your EU licence for up to 12 months I believe. After that you'd need to pass a UK test.

    It's worth having a read of the highway code so you're up to speed on the rules of the road. Also you'll need to start calculating everything in miles since all the signs including speed limits use MPH rather than KPH.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 15, 2015
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.