Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Weak/strong acids and bases watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Does anyone have a list of Weak/strong acids and bases please.

It'll b much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

ReputationRep:
    Strong acids are the common 'conventional' ones; HCl, HBr, HI, HSO4, H2SO4, HNO3, H3PO4, etc - those that have very polar/weak interatomic bonds. If you want Ka values then google for them.

Weak acids, just go for organic (carboxylic) acids; CHOOH (methanoic acid/formic acid), CH3COOH (ethanoic acid/acetic acid), and so forth. Benzoic/benzanoic is a commonly used aromatic acid. HF is suprisingly not very acidic due to the miniscule size of F. H2S mildly acidic. Niacin (C5NH5COOH) is an important vitamin acid. Again, google for Ka's.

Strong bases; again it's about how polar the bond is/how easily it releases OH- or how accomodating it is to a proton. Best bets: NaOH, KOH.

NH3 is in the middle really.

Weak bases; Caffeine (C8H10N4O2), ammonium hydroxide (NH4OH) and pyridine.

Hope that helped ;]

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very very much Halc

ReputationRep:
    hmm carbonates are weak rite?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Na2CO3/NaHCO3 are weakly basic but generally metal carbonates are salts and therefore neutral?

ReputationRep:
    Oh and Whizz... you're part of the Spanish Society? I have AQA AS exams tomorrow, if you didn't do EdExcel can you give me any tips?

ReputationRep:
    I've got my Edexcel Spanish tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    H3PO4 is actually a weak acid.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.