Turn on thread page Beta

Maths/physics TO law - transition from hell? GDL 2015 watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So I'm about to commence my GDL course this academic year and have just finished a Maths degree with a modest amount of physics. Point is the approach to a numerate discipline is hugely different to that of a written/reading subject.

How do I prepare for this? Do I face a long and lonely task of reading until my eyes burn?

Has anyone made the same transition before?

Any advice or relevant comments are very welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaya_01)
    Hey guys,

So I'm about to commence my GDL course this academic year and have just finished a Maths degree with a modest amount of physics. Point is the approach to a numerate discipline is hugely different to that of a written/reading subject.

How do I prepare for this? Do I face a long and lonely task of reading until my eyes burn?

You might struggle with the amount of reading but I'm sure your logical reasoning and deduction skills are pretty sound after Maths and Physics!

I know people who have come from science backgrounds like natural sciences and pharmacy go on to get training contracts. I've been told science grads are currently in hot demand at IP/Tech focused firms due to the potential sector knowledge they bring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The questions should vary between 'problem questions' which are more of a logical, strategic, often bullet-pointed approach, and essays - you might stick to the problem questions where possible as you may find them easier to do.

But TBH, you MUST have a logical, analytical approach already surely. This is going to help you tonnes on the GDL especially when surrounded by arts/philosophy students who often really struggle with the logical analytical and distinctly non-airy fairy approach required.

I would have thought your BG will set you apart somewhat for employers - indulge us - how does someone do a maths degree, then decide they want to do law?? Is it because you did the maths for 'fun' before you got down to what you really want to do? I am a mature applicant and I am often a bit puzzled as to why people do one degree and then go for the GDL - why not just do a law degree??

Anyway.

Yes, there is a lot of reading, but it is very structured and prescribed on the GDL - they give you loads of text books on day one (TBH you don't have to read them at all, and I don't know anyone who does). They do make you feel like a law student though - it's all about the manuals

(Original post by Kaya_01)
    Hey guys,

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.