The Student Room Group

IS it possible to survive on £1 a day on food?

And still eat something even slightly healthy? I'll be going to uni and I was just wondering if I can cook two meals a day. If not, what is the lowest I can spend on food?

Scroll to see replies

Of course it's possible if you want to live on noodles and bread.
Eating healthily for cheap is incredibly hard as fresh fruit/veg is very expensive. If i was you id go veggie, since things like packets of cos cos are 50p and are good for two meals as well as being healthy
Reply 3
you can have instant noodles.
or sainsburys basic pot noodles.
or sainsburys brand brown rice
or 1/3 of a meal deal from sainsburys

ive given you enough options to last 4 months atleast, see you then
Buy things in bulk like pasta/rice
Frozen veggies?
Perhaps you could spend 69 pence on microwaveable meals from Aldi? Sweet & Sour Chicken with Rice or Chicken Curry with Rice.

Realistically though, I suggest you spend more than a pound… :|
That is depressing...
Dont spend money on buying noodles, they're probably unhealthy, hence why they cost cheap
Original post by heidiburness
Eating healthily for cheap is incredibly hard as fresh fruit/veg is very expensive. If i was you id go veggie, since things like packets of cos cos are 50p and are good for two meals as well as being healthy

Original post by samina_ay
Buy things in bulk like pasta/rice
Frozen veggies?

These are really good ideas actually, thanks. I'll consider the frozen veggies and will aim to buy stuff in bulk. Also, I've got an uncle who owns a convenience store so he has special access to a wholesale food place where he can buy pasta very cheaply in bulk, so maybe I could even survive on 70p a day??? Lol
Original post by hoping4Astars
These are really good ideas actually, thanks. I'll consider the frozen veggies and will aim to buy stuff in bulk. Also, I've got an uncle who owns a convenience store so he has special access to a wholesale food place where he can buy pasta very cheaply in bulk, so maybe I could even survive on 70p a day??? Lol

Lool. Frozen veggies are good :tongue: and you welcome x
Also see if you can get your uncle to buy you things like porridge oats, red lentils, canned tomatoes and nuts in bulk - those are relatively cheap per portion but very nutritious
bulk buy pasta/rice/couscous and frozen veggies also tins of beans/chickpeas and some nuts for protein
buy everything in bulk, make large pots of food and freeze it in portions

also i know instant noodles are grim but if you have to have them you can add fresh veggies/meat/anything to them to make them bareable - there are tons of recipes for them on google
(edited 8 years ago)
Canned rice porridge is like 14p at Tesco
Live off instant noodles which you can probably get 4 for a pound.

Also buy a big 500 pack of vitamins to make sure you are getting your essentials.
Is looking to get a part time job, even if it is only for a few hours, an option? Because some of these suggestions on how to manage on £1/day are ****ing grim.
You can't buy anything from shops, no after night outs food, no chocolate cravings, you're going to have to go to markets and scavenge for food lmfao. GG I would just end it now.
The supermarket noodles that come with a sachet of flavouring are dead cheap, those everyday value ones are like 30 pence so that can be lunch sorted and you could do another pack of it for dinner; just not healthy at all. One quid a day for food is really stretching it.

Two quid a day and it's feasible.
Yes, it's possible.

1. Get an allotment and grow your own
2. Go around your local shops and find which ones leave their skips unlocked
3. Only buy in bulk
Yes you have plenty of choice with that budget - you can chew the whole pack of gums, stuff yourself with toilet paper or move to Thailand.
Original post by hoping4Astars

With 70p a day, it's even better. You can't buy anything so your only option is to save money, which means you should eventually become a millionaire.

Quick Reply