Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For my coursework we have to choose 2 books to write a comparative essay about. I've chosen 1984 by George Orwell and The handmaids tale by Atwood. We have to write our own essay title too! I have no idea what to have as my essay question/title. All i know is that it has to start with 'to what extent' and I'm possibly thinking about writing about 'satisfying endings'/'rebellion in the form of sex'/'how the past is presented'???? Really need some help if anyone has studied these books or has done/is doing this sort of thing in A2 english lit
    Im really stuck so thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    i did the same coursework last year (however we were given one book and had to pick another to compare with it) but one of my books was 1984!

i would suggest going through both, making notes of themes in each and finding some similarities - however, remember you want to create an argument so there needs to be some differences in each book
    also, what i did was i came up with 4 or 5 questions, made a plan for each and then decided which would be easiest/best to write
    the rebellion in the form of sex sounds interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliciakt97)
    For my coursework we have to choose 2 books to write a comparative essay about. I've chosen 1984 by George Orwell and The handmaids tale by Atwood. We have to write our own essay title too! I have no idea what to have as my essay question/title. All i know is that it has to start with 'to what extent' and I'm possibly thinking about writing about 'satisfying endings'/'rebellion in the form of sex'/'how the past is presented'???? Really need some help if anyone has studied these books or has done/is doing this sort of thing in A2 english lit
    Im really stuck so thanks for any help
    Both 1984 and The Handmaids Tale are great books! I think the Sexual rebellion comparision is absolutely brilliant!!
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    i did the same coursework last year (however we were given one book and had to pick another to compare with it) but one of my books was 1984!

i would suggest going through both, making notes of themes in each and finding some similarities - however, remember you want to create an argument so there needs to be some differences in each book
    also, what i did was i came up with 4 or 5 questions, made a plan for each and then decided which would be easiest/best to write
    the rebellion in the form of sex sounds interesting!
    Thanks for the help! I've got a full essay question written down for sexual rebellion I'm just worried I'm going to find it really hard to come up with lots of different paragraphs about it. I think i will make a plan like you suggested, thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hudamh)
    Both 1984 and The Handmaids Tale are great books! I think the Sexual rebellion comparision is absolutely brilliant!!
    Good luck.
    Thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help! I've got a full essay question written down for sexual rebellion I'm just worried I'm going to find it really hard to come up with lots of different paragraphs about it. I think i will make a plan like you suggested, thanks again
    no worries! i would suggest making a plan with quotes included, basically the entire essay in bullet point form, so when you come to writing you can just put it into full sentences and you wont come to find you cant find a good quote (this has happened to me and its horrible having to change your point because you cant find evidence)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    no worries! i would suggest making a plan with quotes included, basically the entire essay in bullet point form, so when you come to writing you can just put it into full sentences and you wont come to find you cant find a good quote (this has happened to me and its horrible having to change your point because you cant find evidence)
    Would you guys mind sending me a copy of your essays as a example response to help me write my one up?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.