The Student Room Group

What do you need to get in to Harvard as a student from the UK?

Okay, so I'm pretty confident I can achieve 12 A*'s for my GCSE's later this school year, and I've started to research universities. Although I would love more than anything to go to Oxford, I think studying in America would be incredible. Let's say I managed to achieve the 12 A*'s that I am predicted, and then went on to get 4 A's at A Level, would I have a good chance of being accepted in to studying Law at Harvard? Keep in mind I live in a relatively deprived area in London, the secondary school I attend got a terrible 41% GCSE pass rate of last year, and I would be eligible for bursaries as the income for my household is about 25-35k sterling a year. Also, I assume Oxford and Harvard often exchange students, so can anyone confirm or deny this, and do you think that they would exchange law students? I know I'm thinking way too far ahead, but I've been thinking about this all day, and the thought of going to Harvard is genuinely really exciting
Original post by lucsus
Okay, so I'm pretty confident I can achieve 12 A*'s for my GCSE's later this school year, and I've started to research universities. Although I would love more than anything to go to Oxford, I think studying in America would be incredible. Let's say I managed to achieve the 12 A*'s that I am predicted, and then went on to get 4 A's at A Level, would I have a good chance of being accepted in to studying Law at Harvard? Keep in mind I live in a relatively deprived area in London, the secondary school I attend got a terrible 41% GCSE pass rate of last year, and I would be eligible for bursaries as the income for my household is about 25-35k sterling a year. Also, I assume Oxford and Harvard often exchange students, so can anyone confirm or deny this, and do you think that they would exchange law students? I know I'm thinking way too far ahead, but I've been thinking about this all day, and the thought of going to Harvard is genuinely really exciting

You cannot study law in Harvard (or anywhere in the US) without a degree first. This because in the U.S. law is a post-graduate (J.D. Juris Doctor) programme so you will not be eligible to start law school anywhere in the US without a degree first.

So by completing a law degree in the UK you effectively save three years. Second you would need a generous scholarship for Harvard as the costs are in the tune of $84000 per year. As a foreign student you would not be eligible for the same type of loans like U.S. citizens or permanent residents etc...

Another important aspect is where do you wish to practice (if you want to become a lawyer) ? If the answer is the UK or Europe the Harvard degree would not be of much use.

So I think that you should focus your effort entirely in the UK market. For Oxford you would need AAA
see http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/law-jurisprudence

You should always think of some backup options just in case Oxford doesn't work out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending