Turn on thread page Beta

How to achieve the top GCSE grades (A*/A), in in Year 10 watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing 11 courses at GCSE, and I would like to receive some tips as to how I should go about acquiring these grades. For Maths, English Literature, and English Language, the GCSEs use the new grading system (9-1, 1 being the lowest). For the other subjects, the grades are the ordinary letter grading system(A*-G, G being the lowest).

I am doing these courses:

1. Maths GCSE
    2. English Literature GCSE
    3. English Language GCSE
    4. OCR Gateway Biology GCSE
    5. OCR Gateway Chemistry GCSE
    6. OCR Gateway Physics GCSE
    7. OCR Citizenship Studies GCSE
    8. Cambridge Nationals ICT Qualification (equivalent to 0.5 of a GCSE)
    9. AQA History B GCSE
    10. Edexcel Spanish GCSE
    11. AQA Media Studies GCSE

I would like honest, preferably extensive responses please

Thanks in advance,

Me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    I'm in the same boat as you right now, and the advice I have been given so far has mainly consisted of recording information and taking legible notes from the start of Year 10. This is so, when you get to the exams, you will have a whole wealth of information to revise from. Also the information that you have been taught in class will really sink in when it is written down again, and it will ensure that you understand all the material.

Good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LEuphoria)
    Hi there!
    I'm in the same boat as you right now, and the advice I have been given so far has mainly consisted of recording information and taking legible notes from the start of Year 10. This is so, when you get to the exams, you will have a whole wealth of information to revise from. Also the information that you have been taught in class will really sink in when it is written down again, and it will ensure that you understand all the material.

Good luck with your studies!
    Hey LEuphoria,

Thanks to replying to my thread. And thanks for the gr8 advice! Currently that's all I am doing right now; making heavy notes and recording as much information as I can. For example, in History I have been given a syllabus about my course (Unit 1 only so far, as it is only September), I use this to refer to and I break it down into manageable chunks.
    Every night before I go to sleep, I revise 5 minutes of each subject (about 1 hour altogether), so the info will gradually sink in. Using this simple and effective technique means that I will not have to revise till 3am in the morning for the exam the next day - come exam time.

Thanks again,

Me(year 10)

P.S. Good luck with your studies too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and just realised the biggest mistake i made.

For your sciences and maths keep a separate book that has a lot of notes. They will come in handy once you start year 11.

I'm struggling right now since i never wrote down a lot of my chemistry stuff from year 10 and i have to go to revision classes after school to recap them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tso)

For your sciences and maths keep a separate book that has a lot of notes. They will come in handy once you start year 11. THATS WOT I THOUGHT LOL

I'm struggling right now since i never wrote down a lot of my chemistry stuff from year 10 and i have to go to revision classes after school to recap them SORRY ABOUT THAT BRO (OR BROETTE IF YOU'RE A GYALLL).
    Hi tso,

Yeah thanks for that piece of advice, I started doing that in Year 9 (a bit too early, don't you think? ).

I have pretty much mastered the Maths syllabus and am currently working at an A*, so Maths isn't a worry; nonetheless I need to brush up on my Chemistry and Physics (I am quite confident to get an A*-B in Biology).

Thank you,

Me (year 10)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tso)

For your sciences and maths keep a separate book that has a lot of notes. They will come in handy once you start year 11.

I'm struggling right now since i never wrote down a lot of my chemistry stuff from year 10 and i have to go to revision classes after school to recap them.
    Firstly, Buy the cgp books and take notes. Do all the past papers from 2000-current and write down the questions and their corresponding mark scheme answers. Use your textbook, or internet to gain clarity on why these answers are what they are. Use your teacher if needs be. Try to understand these answers, and memorise all the appropriate keywords. If you can't understand the answers and you're close to the exams, memorise the answers. Also, learn to do all the required maths; its crucial! Good luck.
    I went from ABC in physics, biology, chemistry in year 10, to A*A*A* in my real exams, if that helps.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.