Turn on thread page Beta

B855 - House of Lords (Reform) Bill 2015 (Third Reading) watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    B855 - House of Lords (Reform) Bill 2015 (Third Reading), TSR Labour Party

HOUSE OF LORDS (REFORM) BILL 2015
    An Act to rename the House of Lords and reform the method by which individuals are made members thereof, and for connected purposes

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: DEFINITIONS
    (1) “The House of Lords” refers to the Right Honourable the Lords Spiritual and Temporal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Parliament Assembled.
    (2) “The Sovereign” refers to the serving Head of State.
    (3) "Gross misconduct" refers to a criminal offence carrying a term of imprisonment, and anything else deemed to have brought the House of Regions into disrepute by the Gross Misconduct Committee.

2: NAME, TITLES AND SIZE:
    (1) The House of Lords shall be renamed the Right Honourable the Regions of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Parliament Assembled. The short name, and the name used henceforth in this Act, shall be the House of Regions.
    (2) The House of Regions shall consist of 192 members.
    (3) Each member shall bear the postnominal letters 'MHR' and shall be styled 'the Right Honourable'.
    (4) The House of Regions shall commence its duties in May 2017.

3: APPOINTMENT OF MEMBERS:
    (1) 48 members of the House of Regions shall be appointed by the Sovereign.
    (2) A Commission, to be known as the House of Regions Appointments Commission, is to be created for the purpose of creating a shortlist of 60 potential appointees, to be ranked in order of preference.
    a. The aforementioned shortlist will be drawn up upon the passing of this Act, and at the beginning of each new House of Commons term.
    (3) Each political party which has members who are serving Members of Parliament who have taken the Oath of Allegiance shall have the right to appoint two members of the House of Nations and Regions Appointments Commission.
    (4) At no point in time may the number of appointed members of the House of Regions who have previously been Members of Parliament exceed 5.
    (5) Should an appointed member of the House of Regions resign, die, be removed or disqualified or be declared mentally unfit for office by a qualified psychiatric professional before their term ends, the next person on the list who is not already a member of either House of Parliament shall be appointed by the Sovereign to a new term.
    (6) Any appointed member who is found to have unduly influenced a member of the Appointments Committee shall be permanently disqualified from sitting in the House of Regions.

4: ELECTIONS
    (1) Members of the House of Regions shall be elected.
    (2) MHRs will be elected via the Sainte-Lagüe method of party-list proportional representation in the 12 electoral regions defined in the Electoral Reform Act 2015.
    (3) Half of the MHRs shall be elected every 5 years, starting in 2017.
    (4) The proportion of seats that each electoral region is entitled to shall be semi-proportional to its population. Regions shall be placed into categories for this purpose as follows:
    a. The four most populous regions shall have 14 seats each.
    b. The next four most populous regions shall have 12 seats each.
    c. The four least populous regions shall have 10 seats each.
    (5) Candidates for election must have been employed in a field other than politics or political research for a minimum of 20 years at some point prior to their candidacy.
    (6) If any elected member is found to have committed an electoral offence specified in the Representation of the People Act 1983, the Representation of the People Act 1985, the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000 or the Electoral Administration Act 2006, they shall be permanently disqualified from sitting in the House of Regions and their seat shall remain vacant for the rest of the term.

5:TERMS, DISQUALIFICATIONS, REMOVALS AND PROCEDURE IN THE EVENT OF RESIGNATION OR DEATH
    (1) Each member of the House of Regions shall serve for one non-renewable term of 10 years.
    (2) Members of the House of Regions may resign by sending a formal letter to the Sovereign informing them of their intent to resign.
    (3) A Gross Misconduct Commission shall be created to be convened when an allegation of gross misconduct against a member of the House of Regions has been made, to examine the veracity of the allegation.
    (4) Should a member of the House of Regions be found to have committed gross misconduct, they will be automatically removed by the Sovereign from the House.
    (5) The Sovereign may remove members of the House of Regions who have not been found to have committed gross misconduct
    (6) Should an appointed member of the House of Regions resign, be removed, or die, the next person on the shortlist drawn up by the Appointments Commission who is not already a member of either House of Parliament shall be appointed in their place.
    (7) Should an elected member of the House of Regions resign; be removed or die, their party shall appoint a replacement.
    (8) No-one who is a Member of Parliament, who holds an office of profit under the Crown or who is disqualified under Clauses 2(6) or 4(6) shall sit in the House of Regions.

6: COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT
    (1) This Act may be cited as the House of Lords (Reform) Act 2015.
    (2) This Act shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
    (3) Shall come into force immediately.

Notes
    The electoral regions are the following:

The map is the one from the European Parliament Information Office for the UK:
    [/i]

The number of elected seats initially allocated to each region is as follows:
    14 to South East England, London, North-West England and East Anglia.
    12 to the West Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber, South-West England and Scotland.
    10 to the East Midlands, Wales, North-East England and the North of Ireland.

Changes for third reading:
    - The number of members of the appointments committee that each party can appoint has been changed to 2.
    - Provisions relating to disqualification have been added.
    - The amount of time that candidates must have spent working in fields outside politics has been increased to 20.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Should be obvious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I still don't like the new name. But aye.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I still don't like the new name. But aye.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As I think I said in the debate of one of the previous incarnations of this bill, we did have quite some internal disagreement over the name and House of Regions was a compromise because no-one liked it :lol:
    What would you change it to out of interest?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    As I think I said in the debate of one of the previous incarnations of this bill, we did have quite some internal disagreement over the name and House of Regions was a compromise because no-one liked it :lol:
    What would you change it to out of interest?
    To be truthful I'm not sure, but surely there's something out there with more of a ring to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    To be truthful I'm not sure, but surely there's something out there with more of a ring to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wanted to keep it as the House of Lords for old time's sake, some other people wanted to change it to Senate, then Senate of the Nations and Regions was proposed, then we settled provisionally on House of Nations and Regions, then the Nations was dropped because it sounded too clunky, so we've really tried everything lol.

ReputationRep:
    *spits on the ground and leaves*
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I wanted to keep it as the House of Lords for old time's sake, some other people wanted to change it to Senate, then Senate of the Nations and Regions was proposed, then we settled provisionally on House of Nations and Regions, then the Nations was dropped because it sounded too clunky, so we've really tried everything lol.
    You haven't yet tried a Ouija board!
    See what the spirit of Hardie would call it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    You haven't yet tried a Ouija board!
    See what the spirit of Hardie would call it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Come on, we're meant to be ultra-PC left-wingers, we can't possibly run the risk of offending atheists by using a spiritual method like that
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Come on, we're meant to be ultra-PC left-wingers, we can't possibly run the risk of offending atheists by using a spiritual method like that
    More likely to offend the religious I should think.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who believes FPTP is not a suitable system for modern times I am sympathetic to calls wanting to replace the House of Lord with an elected House of Lords. I do not think this bill is the answer to it but I will likely vote aye or abstain unless someone points something out that causes me to reconsider my views.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    As someone who believes FPTP is not a suitable system for modern times I am sympathetic to calls wanting to replace the House of Lord with an elected House of Lords. I do not think this bill is the answer to it but I will likely vote aye, or abstain on the bill unless someone points out something that is causes me to reconsider this stance.
    What has FPTP got to do with an appointed second chamber?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    What has FPTP got to do with an appointed second chamber?
    The principles are the same: I cannot support more democracy by wanting to change FPTP while rejecting democracy by voting against a bill that will introduce democracy to part of Parliament that is full of party donors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Thank you for your intelligent and constructive contribution.

ReputationRep:
    I'm open to parliamentary reform but this House of Regions just seems needlessly complex. Also agree the name of the bill is very uninspiring.

Meh indeed
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    PROSM

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Seems ok to me.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.