Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm applying for HSPS at Trinity Hall, and instead of the TSA they use a 60-minute written test on the day of the interview. I've looked around and haven't found much on it, and was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experiences with the test? Could you be asked to write an essay on quite literally anything?

Thanks in advance for any info, it's all hugely appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hey, did you manage to find anything? Maybe you could ask the question on the HSPS thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horcrux16)
    Hey, did you manage to find anything? Maybe you could ask the question on the HSPS thread.
    Hey! I did manage to find out that basically you get a choice of an essay (or sometimes two, depending on which college you've applied for) out of either seven or eight questions for the admissions test - one for each of the disciplines within HSPS (on Politics, IR, SocAnth etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slightlyhomeless)
    Hey! I did manage to find out that basically you get a choice of an essay (or sometimes two, depending on which college you've applied for) out of either seven or eight questions for the admissions test - one for each of the disciplines within HSPS (on Politics, IR, SocAnth etc).
    Oh okay
    Thanks
    You only have only interviews and essay at Trinity Hall?
    Which courses are you applying for within HSPS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay
    Thanks
    You only have only interviews and essay at Trinity Hall?
    Which courses are you applying for within HSPS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup, only the interviews and the admissions test are standing between me and a place at Cambridge lol. The interview itself is enough to make me quiver with anxiety to be honest, haha. Which college have you applied to?
    I'm going for Politics, IR, Sociology, and Social Anthropology - how about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, only the interviews and the admissions test are standing between me and a place at Cambridge lol. The interview itself is enough to make me quiver with anxiety to be honest, haha. Which college have you applied to?
    I'm going for Politics, IR, Sociology, and Social Anthropology - how about you?
    I sent an open application and was allocated to Robinson.
    Politics, IR, Sociology and Psychology
    At Robinson they have an additional test where you have to analyse something and on their website, they claim that it is difficult and this is scaring me a lot.
    Which other unis did you apply to?

ReputationRep:
    I sent an open application and was allocated to Robinson.
    Politics, IR, Sociology and Psychology
    At Robinson they have an additional test where you have to analyse something and on their website, they claim that it is difficult and this is scaring me a lot.
    Which other unis did you apply to?
    Oh wow, I hadn't come across that kind of admissions test :O Maybe it's something slightly similar to the TSA with regards to the logic and numerical reasoning aspect?

I applied to Durham, Warwick, Bath and Exeter You?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, I hadn't come across that kind of admissions test :O Maybe it's something slightly similar to the TSA with regards to the logic and numerical reasoning aspect?

I applied to Durham, Warwick, Bath and Exeter You?
    Yeah it's a possibility.
    LSE, Warwick, Bristol and Southampton

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a possibility.
    LSE, Warwick, Bristol and Southampton

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh great choices Good luck; I hope you get in!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh great choices Good luck; I hope you get in!
    Thanks
    Heard from your college yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not yet! Although that's probably because I haven't sent them my essays, UMS scores or any of those forms which they've asked for yet. (I'm terrible and leaving it suuuper late, I know!) >_< Heard back from Robinson yet?

ReputationRep:
    Not yet! Although that's probably because I haven't sent them my essays, UMS scores or any of those forms which they've asked for yet. (I'm terrible and leaving it suuuper late, I know!) >_< Heard back from Robinson yet?
    When is your deadline? Nope not yet though i believe my essays and all got delivered yesterday. I'm getting more and more nervous as the days go by :s

ReputationRep:
    When is your deadline? Nope not yet though i believe my essays and all got delivered yesterday. I'm getting more and more nervous as the days go by :s
    15th November :P posting them off tomorrow though! Be confident and just know that everyone is equally as nervous

ReputationRep:
    Good luck
    Thank you. We're all in the same boat now

ReputationRep:
    My daughter applied to hsps 3 years ago and there was no test then, but they did ask her to write additional essays prior to the interview offer. What I mean to say is, the test must be relatively new, hence you don't find much info. I wish you the best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    My daughter applied to hsps 3 years ago and there was no test then, but they did ask her to write additional essays prior to the interview offer. What I mean to say is, the test must be relatively new, hence you don't find much info. I wish you the best of luck.
    Ahh thank you, and that's really interesting. I imagine all subjects at Cambridge will eventually have a test because of the way A-levels are being made linear now, so I don't envy future prospective students!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alcibiade)
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thank you, and that's really interesting. I imagine all subjects at Cambridge will eventually have a test because of the way A-levels are being made linear now, so I don't envy future prospective students!
    Yep. I heard something about new entrance tests for 2017

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes! Interview is Dec 3rd and I'm freaking out haha! Heard from Robinson?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.