Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi,

ok so i never really even considered applying for oxbridge, bc quite frankly ive never considered myself smart enough, Ive always been that average b/c grade student who never applied himself, that was until my A2 year.

I came out with A*(Law) AA (media and philosophy) and maybe even A* for media if i get a remark. even after getting these grades i was content when i was offered a place at bham to study Law, but i recently found out that someone from my school got into Cambridge with the same grades as me, this kid wasn't spectacular either, just someone who i considered a normal and average, that got me thinking and i gave oxford and cm bridge a call, both said that i have the grade requirements and had a strong application, but I don't know whether they just said that or they meant it, i told them about my gcse grades also which are quite rubbish (A*ABBBCC) but i only had a year to do them; they said that for the course you only need 7 a-c and a C in maths which is what i have (barely).

My question is how likely am i to be accepted into oxbridge to do law, i'm not particularly good at interviews but am willing to take lessons and read as many books as possible and hopefully they might cut me some slack bc i'm from a comprehensive school working class background and they could use me to fill their quota. My essay writing and comprehension skills I would say are decent (Scored a bit less than average on lnat) but not bad.

what do you guys think my chances of success are? i'm all ears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subegsingh9)
    hi,

ok so i never really even considered applying for oxbridge, bc quite frankly ive never considered myself smart enough, Ive always been that average b/c grade student who never applied himself, that was until my A2 year.

I came out with A*(Law) AA (media and philosophy) and maybe even A* for media if i get a remark. even after getting these grades i was content when i was offered a place at bham to study Law, but i recently found out that someone from my school got into Cambridge with the same grades as me, this kid wasn't spectacular either, just someone who i considered a normal and average, that got me thinking and i gave oxford and cm bridge a call, both said that i have the grade requirements and had a strong application, but I don't know whether they just said that or they meant it, i told them about my gcse grades also which are quite rubbish (A*ABBBCC) but i only had a year to do them; they said that for the course you only need 7 a-c and a C in maths which is what i have (barely).

My question is how likely am i to be accepted into oxbridge to do law, i'm not particularly good at interviews but am willing to take lessons and read as many books as possible and hopefully they might cut me some slack bc i'm from a comprehensive school working class background and they could use me to fill their quota. My essay writing and comprehension skills I would say are decent (Scored a bit less than average on lnat) but not bad.

Of course you have a chance - but no-one can tell you how strong a chance. Law is an extremely competitive course at any of the top unis. While your school background may cut you some slack, especially on the GCSEs, it may not be enough. A below-average LNAT score may be a problem too.

If the real question you have is 'should I cancel my place at Birmingham and re-apply?', only you can decide whether it's worth the risk of being unsuccessful - you may not necessarily get a new offer from Birmingham either.

It's also worth bearing in mind that, while it can be very easy to think of peers as being 'ordinary' or 'average', admissions tutors see things we don't.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Post A-level applicants usually have grades that are higher than the typical offer. So for Cambridge the typical offer is A*AA for Law and you aren't exceeding that.

To be honest, for Cambridge anyway, I suspect your best bet is to stay with Birmingham. It's a perfectly good uni. Maybe apply PG to Cambridge when you get your 1st from Bham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Of course you have a chance - but no-one can tell you how strong a chance. Law is an extremely competitive course at any of the top unis. While your school background may cut you some slack, especially on the GCSEs, it may not be enough. A below-average LNAT score may be a problem too.

If the real question you have is 'should I cancel my place at Birmingham and re-apply?', only you can decide whether it's worth the risk of being unsuccessful - you may not necessarily get a new offer from Birmingham either.

It's also worth bearing in mind that, while it can be very easy to think of peers as being 'ordinary' or 'average', admissions tutors see things we don't.
    Indeed. I think the OP's reference to them as average was a bit patronising. Surely, it's obvious that teenagers behave differently in professional spaces than they do with their peers/friends, as do adults. I know a girl who is a loud mouthed, gobby idiot in the pub, but she's a medical student and is apparently always commended on her placements by her supervisors for being professional and having the right atittude as well as being very commited and hardworking..

(Original post by subegsingh9)
    hi,

Stay with your current uni. I think we can use OP to add further evidence to the debate that achieving A*AA with only one facilitating subject (philosophy), is better than getting AAB with two facilitating subjects. OP is now studying Law at Birmingham so fair play to him.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.