Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

P3 Anyone Do OCR?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So what did people get for question one? I got the centre of the circle as (-3,-1) and the radias as root 10.

Also, question 5, where we had to find the area under the graph y=xlnx....what did you guys use as your limits? I intergrated from e to 0, although i'm pretty sure that was wrong....

ReputationRep:
    I found it really nasteh too. I hope it's UMS'd up a lot... I was in a room of 60 people, and every single one of them found it hard.

Also, question 5, where we had to find the area under the graph y=xlnx....what did you guys use as your limits? I intergrated from e to 0, although i'm pretty sure that was wrong....
    I think you should have done two parts seperately, one for 0 to 1 and one for 1 to e, as the first bit would have given a negative answer you needed to change to become positive to add the areas together. I think i got stuck later on the question though.

Any ideas for question 7 with the inverse trig graphs and p,q n stuff?

ReputationRep:
    So what did people get for question one? I got the centre of the circle as (-3,-1) and the radias as root 10.

Yeah, i also got that for centre and radius.

i remember something using e in the integral but can't remember if it was 0. Was that the question where you had to prove it was 1/2 - lnx ?

ReputationRep:
    I can't tell whether it was me struggling under pressure in the exam (it would be the first time) or the paper but I struggled my way through the entire paper. Thankfully I got 285/300 on my AS so I should be alright however some of the questions were so horrible.

From memory the questions were:

1. Equation of Circle
    2. --[can't remember]--
    3. (cos x + sin x)^2
    4. --[can't remember]--
    5. Graph of x ln x
    6. Vectors
    7. Differential Equations
    8. Graphs of cos-1 and tan-1

The Answers I Got (no guarentees)
    1. Centre (-3,-1) Radius=root 10
    3. a) 1 + sin 2x (using identities)
    b) cos x + sin x = root 2 cos (x - pi/4)
    5. a) minimum when x=1/e
    b) area calculated by integrate between (1 and 0) and add to (e and 1)
    integral between 1 and 0 will be negative as below the x-axis. So integrating the whole lot (e to 0) will not give the right answer.

6. dunno, i totally messed this one up
    7,8. didn't have time to complete properly.

Anyone else help fill in the blanks???

ReputationRep:
    partial fractions one a= -1 and b= 3 integrates to the ln they had. (im herts to! st albans)

ReputationRep:
    I've seen all the mark schemes and the lowest they give an A is 40/60.

Infact, they have used this boundary on several papers. The highest is about 45/60.

So I doubt the boundary for an A will be anything lower than 40/60.

ReputationRep:
    i got a=-1 and b=3 thank god! that was by FAR the worse paper i hav ever come across

ReputationRep:
    I got A and B as fractions. That paper was a complete nightmare it took the piss, I swear the past papers, even those pre 200 where easier by far. OMG I'm just pissed off at the moment, if I'm lucky I have achieved at least 50%. I thought it was going to be easy judging by the first question, and then it got much harder.

Did anybody find out what the gradient was on that parametric? I got 3.

Vector question: I 'could do b) and c) but couldn't prove that OP is OP.

7) and 8) didn't even bother. *****y **** ****. That is how I feel at the moment, I'm gutted, it was a resit considering I got 60% last year, I was hoping for at least %80, and then I would have my A in maths, alas, looks like I'm gonna have to actually work at P2 and the dreaded S2.

ReputationRep:
    OK. Heres how I understand that the UMS works. Firstly i must distinguish between your RAW score, which is the mark you get on the paper. And the UMS (Universal Mean Score).

To get an A you need 80/100 on the UMS averaged from all three papers.
    B=70, C=60, D=50, E=40

I don't know exactly how the allocation works, but heres my best guess.

The total RAW marks from all candidates nationwide are taken and sorted into order. The top 1% of the nation on raw score will get 100 UMS the next 1% will get 99 UMS the lowest 1% of all RAW scores will get 1 UMS.

So basically it is not discressionary upon the Exam Board where the grade boundaries fall. It is entirely dependant on how 'we' collectivly do. So if the highest mark achieved by anybody in the country is 30/60 they will still get 100 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barrett)
    OK. Heres how I understand that the UMS works. Firstly i must distinguish between your RAW score, which is the mark you get on the paper. And the UMS (Universal Mean Score).

To get an A you need 80/100 on the UMS averaged from all three papers.
    B=70, C=60, D=50, E=40

I don't know exactly how the allocation works, but heres my best guess.

The total RAW marks from all candidates nationwide are taken and sorted into order. The top 1% of the nation on raw score will get 100 UMS the next 1% will get 99 UMS the lowest 1% of all RAW scores will get 1 UMS.

So basically it is not discressionary upon the Exam Board where the grade boundaries fall. It is entirely dependant on how 'we' collectivly do. So if the highest mark achieved by anybody in the country is 30/60 they will still get 100 UMS.
    Modelled by a normal distribution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc123)

I used between 1 (where it crossed x axis) and e cos i thought it was the area bordered by the x axis, curve and x=0? I may have read the question wrong though in which case i'm buggered!!! I've also just realised i was really stupid in the vector question cos finding the scalar product i used 2/3 5/3 2/3 where i could have used 2 5 2 and come out with the same answer (i think!)
    I also hate invigilators because i always need extra paper and they always waste 5 minutes by ignoring me....what do they think they're there for????
    I've always found p3 papers (from practises too) very pushed for time and i ran out of time today. evilness!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undercover-ange)
    I used between 1 (where it crossed x axis) and e cos i thought it was the area bordered by the x axis, curve and x=0? I may have read the question wrong though in which case i'm buggered!!! I've also just realised i was really stupid in the vector question cos finding the scalar product i used 2/3 5/3 2/3 where i could have used 2 5 2 and come out with the same answer (i think!)
    I also hate invigilators because i always need extra paper and they always waste 5 minutes by ignoring me....what do they think they're there for????
    I've always found p3 papers (from practises too) very pushed for time and i ran out of time today. evilness!
    Yeah I got something like that too, but me bing cautious, I just used the fractions instead. I got them to be the same as yours. Could you do part a) of the vectors question?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I used the integral of xlnx between e^-1 and e.

ReputationRep:
    yes working with (2,5,2) will work as well as (2/3, 5/3, 2/3). It should come out to the same answer, more chances for errors when u introduce fractions tho.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got the paper?

Could the please scan it or put the questions up?

Looks like my money's gonna have to be on S2 being good. 11 days to do all of sampling and hypothesis testing from scratch.. yyippppeee!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i thought working without the fractions would have been the same too... but i did it once with and once without and got different answers!, i took the answer with fractions i think.

Did anyone else get the angle between the lines as 77.7°?

edit=>

Oh and for the UMS.... dont they still make it so people get less on p3; overall less people get A grades on p3 i think compared to the other papers.

And... is s2 easy?, I didn't listen first time round and i dont have long to learn it now - left it a bit late :| i have 293 from last year though, so i hope it'll cover me if i do well in p2

ReputationRep:
    i also used e and 1 as the limits. although im now thinking thats horribly wrong.

I thought the vectors question was all right, i jsut couldn't remember how to find out the angle, so i made something up and got it to be around 70degrees (i cant remember exactly)

The partial fractions question....I got fractions (a=-1/2 b=3/2) It jsut didn't occur to me to multiply my results by 2, so they are pretty much the same. I may lose 1 method mark but aaah well. whats one mark when i;ve lost loads already!

Oh dear my head still hurts from it.

Everybody seems to be dreading S2, I find stats really easy...i did the june 2003 paper for my mock and got an A, which is really shocking for me(im predicted C overall!). Aaah well, what another 2 wks or soemthing to that...better start revising and hope the ocr examiners aren't really evil again when they wrote the s2 paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicalSpoon)
    i thought working without the fractions would have been the same too... but i did it once with and once without and got different answers!, i took the answer with fractions i think.

edit=>

Oh and for the UMS.... dont they still make it so people get less on p3; overall less people get A grades on p3 i think compared to the other papers.

And... is s2 easy?, I didn't listen first time round and i dont have long to learn it now - left it a bit late :| i have 293 from last year though, so i hope it'll cover me if i do well in p2
    I remember getting 1/(Funny root) and I can't remeber what the angle was.

ReputationRep:
    yes, i got 77.7° also.

ReputationRep:
    Was it [email protected]=1/(funny number)?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.