Turn on thread page Beta

How the hell are they aloud to do this... watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Conservative voter and as a youngish person does I visited YouTube today only to be confronted with a conservative video which TBH was just four points ****ging Corbyn off. Now I don't particularly like him as a labour leader but why the heck have they been posting such rude stuff about other candidates. Like, looking at a few points, there is no general election for four years now. Half of labour hates Corbyn anyway. He's probably too left wing for the majority of people opting for more centralised politics.... The list goes on....

So the thing I can't get my head round, hopefully someone can explain, is why the heck do the conservatives feel the need to tell the world about how Corbyn is an arse. And TBF as I've said, I'm a Conservative voter but some of the points raised in the video are WAY out of context... It's just abit imature IMO, considering these people are supposed to be running the country.

Link below
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_hgJokgNJHo

ReputationRep:
    Allowed ^

ReputationRep:
    I'm young and conservative too, I think they should have posted a congratulations message or something rather than trying to scare everyone. It makes politics more hostile, which it really needn't be...and as you said, the next GE is 4/5 years away, there's really no need to do this. Agreed.

edit: Lol this tweet by the Russian Embassy https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/s...40355606700032

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    I'm young and conservative too, I think they should have posted a congratulations message or something rather than trying to scare everyone. It makes politics more hostile, which it really needn't be...and as you said, the next GE is 4/5 years away, there's really no need to do this. Agreed.

edit: Lol this tweet by the Russian Embassy https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/s...40355606700032
    No, the Tories are doing exactly the right thing. For the next few months, they cannot let Corbyn define himself, they must define the rules of the narrative.

ReputationRep:
    because thats how the tories work, they use scaremongering tactics to scare the public off other parties (it worked with miliband so why not do it to corbyn too)

ReputationRep:
    Because Corbyn would destroy this nation once and for all, finish the work left by Blair. Labour are a cancer and the public must be warned of such a threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Because Corbyn would destroy this nation once and for all, finish the work left by Blair. Labour are a cancer and the public must be warned of such a threat.
    Pfft...

Blair was right of the party so you're talking utter ****e Corbyn's agenda definitely isn't to finish where Blair left off. For starters Corbyn is anti war.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the video...

Seems childish and ridiculous at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    Pfft...

Blair was right of the party so you're talking utter ****e Corbyn's agenda definitely isn't to finish where Blair left off. For starters Corbyn is anti war.
    In terms of destroying this country, they both have the same intentions, how they do it is where they differ

ReputationRep:
    Normally I'd agree however in this case Banterboy is correct. With Corbyn's extremist views (admitted in interviews no less), the Tories may have to wait decades for Labour to elect such an easy target again. If they do it right, they can paint themselves as the rational centrists and Labour as the extremists long before we move to challenging the substance of policies.

ReputationRep:
    They are afraid, and scared people act in illogical ways. Still, they are allowed to say quite a lot, within the bounds of exercising their freedom of speech. My feeling is, the more they make asses of themselves, the more rational Corbyn will look in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    Well free speech and all...I don't see a video being put out by the Conservatives like this as swaying anyone; most Conservative voters are likely going to stay Conservative voters, those that were on the fence and begrudgingly voted for them are going to recognise the obvious scaremongering and taking things out of context (well, everyone is to be honest, but I'm guessing it's this group they're trying to sway). And not to mention those that didn't vote for them who as a rule are certainly not going to take this at face value.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the sphere of UK politics nowadays sadly. Scaremongering is rife with everything from the independence debate to the GE in 2020. Its just sad that many people buy into it and don't actually acknowledge decent points that may be put forward as evident in the GE just gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by citydeer)
    because thats how the tories work, they use scaremongering tactics to scare the public off other parties (it worked with miliband so why not do it to corbyn too)
    They don't need scaremongering tactics.

Corbyn and his policies have made labour unelectable.

ReputationRep:
    This is how the right act. Right wing is very aggressive, love scaremongering and relies on negative campaigns. The left is more positive and laid back.

ReputationRep:
    What people don't realise is that this selective quoting by the Tories is playing right into Corbyn's hands.

When people watch the video, they'll be outraged at the views expressed and they they'll be thinking, "Surely a Labour leader isn't really like this" so they'll go and search him and his policies up and be presented with a fuller picture of what he has said which would make him seem like a reasonable guy, as opposed to the monster that he has been originally been portrayed as.

The Tories are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    This is how the right act. Right wing is very aggressive, love scaremongering and relies on negative campaigns. The left is more positive and laid back.
    Terrible bait

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatart123)
    Terrible bait
    That's not bait fam. You are delusional as hell if you are going to deny the current Tory government doesn't rely on negative campaigns and scaremongering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElephantMemory)
    That's not bait fam. You are delusional as hell if you are going to deny the current Tory government doesn't rely on negative campaigns and scaremongering.
    I don't, but it isn't exclusive to right wing politics. Google some of Labour's NHS posters from the last GE and look at UAF or German AntiFa.

ReputationRep:
    The Tories were so ecstatic that Lynton Crosby's tactics paid off that they have now implemented it as a full time policy at Conservative HQ, not only to be wheeled out at election times. Just outright lie and fear-monger, in the hopes that it will eventually stick. They're called the nasty party for a reason you know.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.