Turn on thread page Beta

My advice from a no strings attached set-up (**** buddy) watch

(From a male perspective)

Contrary to popular opinion it actually has some pretty big downsides.

Im assuming everyone knows the benefits from popular culture and just what they can guess so i'll just point out what i found to be negative about it.

1)A few months in i surprisingly haven't developed feelings, which, while made out to be a good thing, means the relationship ultimately lacks depth. As humans we have a need for someone to confide in, to trust and to display genuine affection towards. If you try and force these things with someone you don't love (love used loosely) you are lying to yourself, and it only makes you more aware of how unfulfilled you are.

When we are flirting, or close to each other, whilst i am enjoying myself i always find myself looking at her and feeling a vague disappointment that i don't have butterflies in my stomach, or that i cant imagine a future with her.

2) Since i have sex so readily available, i have stopped making the effort to talk to girls on nights out, meaning i am potentially stifling the chance to meet a significant other. Or if i do meet someone, i am worried that she will see me as already being in a relationship and be scared off.

3) Finally, i am getting increasingly worried that this experience will ruin me for future relationships. I am nowadays far too forward when trying to chat up a girl as i have become so used to this with the NST/FB. I am not so sure that a future girlfriend will be so amenable to the very frequent demand for sex.

Please feel free to comment with your experiences with NST.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why I've only ever done NST is because I don't believe in that "significant other" nonsense. As such I've never backed away from approaching and sleeping with other girls.

To be honest, I've never looked for someone to "confide in", so that's why I'm quite relaxed about it all...

ReputationRep:
    Sooner or later,someone gets hurt most of the time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 15, 2015
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.