Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm new to this but I really feel like I need to talk to someone.

I used to be really close with my Mum and for the past year or so things have really changed I'm trying to blame this all on something silly like hormones but I've felt like this for a while.

My mum's recently started bringing up the topic of rent a lot lately and at first I thought she was joking but now I feel like she's serious, I know it's stupid to get upset over this but I feel like a stranger in my own house now, she's even started to tell me to just get married and leave already and I don't think she's joking anymore.

I used to tell my mum everything and we were really close but now I feel like she's sick of me and just wants rid.

I do my best to help around the house all the time I try my best to look after both my parents but I still feel like a stranger.

I think I will start paying rent but also looking for a small flat of my own, can anyone advise me of the amount I should start paying my mum, I feel like it's the only option.

Seriously confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student4528)

I used to be really close with my Mum and for the past year or so things have really changed I'm trying to blame this all on something silly like hormones but I've felt like this for a while.

My mum's recently started bringing up the topic of rent a lot lately and at first I thought she was joking but now I feel like she's serious, I know it's stupid to get upset over this but I feel like a stranger in my own house now, she's even started to tell me to just get married and leave already and I don't think she's joking anymore.

I used to tell my mum everything and we were really close but now I feel like she's sick of me and just wants rid.

I do my best to help around the house all the time I try my best to look after both my parents but I still feel like a stranger.

I think I will start paying rent but also looking for a small flat of my own, can anyone advise me of the amount I should start paying my mum, I feel like it's the only option.

Seriously confused.
    £30-50 a week.

ReputationRep:

Seriously confused.
    £40 a week?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys, so around £200 a month?

ReputationRep:
    smthn like that.

ReputationRep:
    I would say £160 a month. Depending on your job and how much money your parents spend on you each month. You don't have to cover everything just say 30-40% to show you are doing something.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty much my entire monthly wage, I'm not sure what to do
    (Original post by william walker)
    I would say £160 a month. Depending on your job and how much money your parents spend on you each month. You don't have to cover everything just say 30-40% to show you are doing something.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I don't pay rent.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty much my entire monthly wage, I'm not sure what to do
    Well just say £10 a week then. You don't have to give them all your money. Just as I said enough to show you are willing to make the effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharanx)
    If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I don't pay rent.
    I'm 20

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    Well just say £10 a week then. You don't have to give them all your money. Just as I said enough to show you are willing to make the effort.
    Thank you, I'll try that

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'll try that
    Jolly good then.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20
    Same

ReputationRep:
    At 20 I would say it is definitely reasonable to start paying rent if you are living at home. Depending on your situation, an amount should be agreed with your mum. If you aren't a student, then looking to get as close as you can to a full time job and making a considerable contribution to the rent would be fair, but as a student it should be a smaller amount agreed with your mum depending on your situation/student loan amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachiriot)
    At 20 I would say it is definitely reasonable to start paying rent if you are living at home. Depending on your situation, an amount should be agreed with your mum. If you aren't a student, then looking to get as close as you can to a full time job and making a considerable contribution to the rent would be fair, but as a student it should be a smaller amount agreed with your mum depending on your situation/student loan amount.
    That's understandable but I still can't help but feel hurt by it, I feel like it's just better to look for my own place, leave uni and get a full time job? Isn't that what she's trying to teach me? Independence.

ReputationRep:
    Who the **** pays rent to their own parents?

ReputationRep:
    I know yeah lol should I just move out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Who the **** pays rent to their own parents?
    People who need to be financially reponsible for themselves due to their parents not being well off enough or in financial hardship and the person being perfectly capable of bringing in some form of income themselves.

ReputationRep:
    That's understandable but I still can't help but feel hurt by it, I feel like it's just better to look for my own place, leave uni and get a full time job? Isn't that what she's trying to teach me? Independence.
    I felt a bit hurt when I had to start paying but I'm used to it now and understand paying for myself is part of life. I pay rent to my parents during the summer despite having a flat in my Uni town because their are costs associated with me being there. I just work more to make up. You do have a student loan which is supposed to be used towards living expenses. You are better off staying in Uni, maybr next year you could privately rent?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.