Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    So this can get a little complicated and I have searched all across the internet and spoken with the university, but no one seems to have a clue.

    I hold an equivalent or lower level qualification (ELQ), meaning I have done a degree before (which I did in the normal 3 year period). However because of this I should not receive any funding from student finance for a second degree.

    However there are exceptions for social care, vets and architecture, in which they will allow you a maintenance loan (and nothing else). Architecture is 5 years long in full time education and consists of a degree, a year in work and a diploma.

    I have completed the architecture degree for which the first two years I received only the maintenance loan and had to pay tuition fees myself. But then I got the full grants and loans for my final year. (I believe this was them taking the year they allow for repeats from my first degree, which I never used, and they applied it to the second degree).

    My confusion comes when I start to looking at funding the diploma. Normal architecture students receive full funding (both loans and grants) for the diploma, in this situation student finance process it as an undergraduate course as the student are continuing.

    I would have normally guessed that, as with the second degree I should only receive the maintenance loan for the diploma. However as they gave me full funding in the final year this could also mean that they would give me full funding for the diploma as well (like they would do for normal architecture students).

    It all seems very confusing and its important because I don't know if I can afford to do the course without full funding :s.

    Does anyone know anything about ELQ and architecture student part 2 funding? or what might happen with the funding for my diploma? Cuz im fully lost
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    I'm a bit confused that you received full funding for the third year of RIBA part 1. If you already hold a degree then you should only be entitled to the maintenance loan for the duration (so no tuition fees or maintenance grant). You would also normally receive a maintenance loan for the RIBA part 2 and if the year between parts 1 and 2 leads to a 'Certificate in Architecture Practice' then a maintenance loan for that as well. I would advise you to call us on 0300 100 0607 so we can discuss this further.


University open days

  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.