The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't want to go to university just for the 'party life' I just don't want to waste any more of my time not doing anything and the only reason I left college with no A levels is because a family member died when I was supposed to be doing my exams so I didn't to them, I did my AS exams and got BBA so I really don't appreciate all the assumptions everybody is making...
Original post by Kourtney18
I don't want to go to university just for the 'party life' I just don't want to waste any more of my time not doing anything and the only reason I left college with no A levels is because a family member died when I was supposed to be doing my exams so I didn't to them, I did my AS exams and got BBA so I really don't appreciate all the assumptions everybody is making...

Not making any assumptions, just speculating because you were offline. :/ All I'm saying is that university isn't the only thing that counts as 'doing anything' and I'm afraid you would be wasting your time if you just signed up to whatever courses are still available in Clearing just for the sake of going to university. I second what Duncan2012 has said: without A-levels, it's unlikely you'll be able to cope with the workload of most university courses.

It's your life so you're free to do what you want but just know that you're likely to come out of university with at least £27 000 to pay back with interest (if you live in England and don't take out a maintenance loan as well), so you should be careful instead of seeing anything less than university as a waste of time. If you end up hating your degree, you'd have wasted more time than if you spend another year getting a level 3 qualification and you would have all that debt on top. Just keep that in mind.

Good luck. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
going to uni at 20 will make no difference

if you can't hack A levels what makes you think you will either cope with or enjoy university?
What is it you wanted to study specifically?
I couldn't hack a levels (passed them just) and got 2/3s of a degree without any problems and now doing another degree so it's certainly possible, there's other level 3 courses you can do to get into uni and some foundation years you could consider in some cases also.
Reply 24
I've just left college with no A levels but I really want to go to uni next year! How do I get in? I'm only 18 so I can't do an access to higher education course this year???

i'm in the same postilion as you, i'm 18. luckily there's a college not too far away from me where they have 2 access courses 1 starts in September 2015 and the other starts in January 2016 (starts and ends in 2016) :smile: by then I will be 19

EDIT: looks like my hopes were too high. starting in September 2016 :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25

I think you should seriously consider if you will be able to handle the pressures of university. You can't just miss your exams and graduate - what makes you think you won't waste another 3 years?

But still, BBA is OK. There is no way those grades will get you into uni at AS level but at A level they are fine. You need to retake the year if you want to go to university, there is no way around it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
@Kourtney18 have you considered a foundation degree?
Is it possible for you to get some sort of part-time job and do an access course in September 2016? BTW 20 is not old lol - I was 35 when I started the access course and it really helped to prepare me for life at university. It really is a wonderful course and well worth looking into doing because most universities accept it.
You can do diploma of one year and then they`ll let you go, make sure you have your GCSE`s.

Latest