The Student Room Group

Do you make friends in second/third years halls?

So I'll be living on campus again for the second year in halls with continuing students and I was wondering what kind of experiences people who have done this themselves had? I understand that it's not going to be the same as freshers halls where everyone is desperate to make friends, but do people there tend to be anti-social/already have their own friend groups or are they generally interested in making friends with the people they live with since they are in halls again?

I already have friends at uni but one of the reasons why I picked halls was the opportunity to meet new people again. I know that internationals often stay on campus again which can mean less sociable people, but I picked the cheapest accommodation so there might be more English people in it (nothing against internationals just from my experience they tend to stick to their own groups).

tl;dr If you stayed on campus in the third/second year, did you end up making good friends from halls in those years?
While I didn't stay in halls for the second year, I would very much imagine it to be the same sort of deal. You'll make friends with your flatmates as you'll spend a lot of time together. :smile:
I lived in halls for my whole time at uni - in second year I moved into a flat with a friend (it was easier than finding a house for just the two of us), and we got put with two lovely girls, one of whom we carried on living with after that. And again in third and fourth year, we got some new flatmates and I'm still friends with all of them. So yes, you can still make friends in halls after first year, as long as you make an effort with the people you live with :smile: what I would say is try and get put with other people who aren't freshers because generally after first year a lot of people get out of that 'party' mindset because they just don't have the time, and it gets really annoying being around people who are still in that mindset.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending