Should I try to join my Uni football team?

Watch
marty_bhoy13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys, this is my first post on here so I wasn't really sure where to put this thread. Hopefully the football bit is ok

So basically I have a dilemma, it's freshers week this week and my course starts proper on monday. I obviously want to participate in activities outside of the course itself, and since i'm really passionate about football, i've been considering joining the three tier team they have at my uni. Only problem being i'm not entirely confident in my abilities. I've never had the confidence to try out for a team except from when i was really young, so this is one of the things i've wanted to try coming to uni. I was kinda hoping some of the guys who've played uni level football could give me an idea of how it is, how physical the game is, how fit guys playing at uni level are etc. I'm 18 and i'm quite a short guy, 5'7. I've played plenty football with guys who play at junior level and I can hold my own, i have a decent touch and pace and I can hold the ball up really well. I just don't feel confident about playing with and against guys who are no doubt older, fitter and more experienced than me. Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, is it worth trying out?
beruangmacan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
sport extracurricular is different from playing sport pure having fun with friend
from my 6 years experience of school football team (mid-high school), we focused play to get recognized by our coach so we can get into main team and play for real. kind of semi-serious, low skilled players usually quit mid-way because they feel left out by good players.

if you want to play just for fun then just play at sport centre or public field (is there any in UK?) and play some football with friends
danb096
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marty_bhoy13)
Hi guys, this is my first post on here so I wasn't really sure where to put this thread. Hopefully the football bit is ok

So basically I have a dilemma, it's freshers week this week and my course starts proper on monday. I obviously want to participate in activities outside of the course itself, and since i'm really passionate about football, i've been considering joining the three tier team they have at my uni. Only problem being i'm not entirely confident in my abilities. I've never had the confidence to try out for a team except from when i was really young, so this is one of the things i've wanted to try coming to uni. I was kinda hoping some of the guys who've played uni level football could give me an idea of how it is, how physical the game is, how fit guys playing at uni level are etc. I'm 18 and i'm quite a short guy, 5'7. I've played plenty football with guys who play at junior level and I can hold my own, i have a decent touch and pace and I can hold the ball up really well. I just don't feel confident about playing with and against guys who are no doubt older, fitter and more experienced than me. Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, is it worth trying out?
I haven't played at university level so I can't answer the questions about physicality/ability etc, but it is worth trying out regardless. The worst that can happen is that you don't get in, either way you will meet people with similar interests to you, which can't be a bad thing in the first few weeks of university.
leinad2012
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marty_bhoy13)

Depends what uni you're at as to the standard. I got into my uni's 6th team (out of 7) despite not having played properly in 3 years and I wouldn't say I'm exceptional. But my university is quite small so the pool of talent is smaller. I'd say 200-250 tried out and about 60 got places with abilities at the trials ranging from ex academy players getting into the 1's and about 100 hopeless players getting sent home after a few hours.
Is it physical? I can only talk about the league I was in but I wouldn't say massively (I'm 6ft but skinny) there's a fair bit of pushing and shoving and always one **** at cdm who thinks he's Paul Scholes reincarnated (without the passing ability) sliding in and taking 100% of the player and 0% of the ball, so you have to give as good as you get and accept the jeers of "go to the gym" or "get up you ****ing pussy" from the other team if you get pushed down easily.
The standard in my team was good, I played in 10 games and we won 9 and drew 1 and got promoted in both our leagues but we're probably an exception. You'd always have some clearly good players and then some where you knew they only got in because they're mates with the captain in the oppositions side.
I'd say try out, what's the worst that can happen? You waste 2 days of your life (made worse at my trials last year for anyone who didn't get in by the fact it ****ing pissed it down the entire time for 2 days straight). That being said trials are a lottery so don't be upset if you don't get in, most teams will have a core group of players from last year and if the position you play in is already covered by them then you've got very little chance of getting in unless you try out/ say you can play in multiple positions. Even then you have to perform on the day(s), at my trials there was one guy who had gone unnoticed the entire 2 days but managed to get to the final game (by which time pretty much all positions in the team have been taken) and scored a worldie from 25 yards in the last 5 minutes and got picked there and then despite no one taking any interest in him for the whole 2 days up until then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (57)
15%
I'm not sure (14)
3.68%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (129)
33.95%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.58%
I'm not a current university student (174)
45.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed